Batumi is a resort and port city located on the Black Sea coast. Throughout history, representatives of different ethnic groups have lived in this territory. This left a mark both in the past of the region, as evidenced by archaeological finds, and in the present, for example, in architecture. Since Batumi is a cultural, religious and economic center, the tourism industry has different directions. The contrast of the mountainous areas and the coastal zone makes the area especially picturesque.
One of the most beautiful sights is the Botanical Garden. In addition to the species diversity of plants, it also surprises with its appearance. Of the new objects, the sculpture "Ali and Nino" should be noted. She not only looks unusual, but can also move. So the legend comes to life before our eyes.
What to see and where to go in Batumi?
The most interesting and beautiful places for walking. Photos and a short description.
Sculpture "Ali and Nino"
The opening of Tamara Kvesitadze's project took place in 2011. Two 8-meter sculptures illustrate the well-known love story of Muslim Ali and Christian Nino. Their parents were against the couple's romance. That is why every evening the sculptures, made in an unusual style, converge, becoming one, and then diverge again. The area around is illuminated, which creates a special atmosphere.
Founded in 1881 by German specialists on behalf of the governor. It stretches for 7 km and is conditionally divided into old and new. The attached garden has retained its splendor from the old days. Comfortable modern benches, lighting, as well as many sculptures appeared on the boulevard. Small restaurants and cafes open here during the season. Tourist walk usually ends with gatherings in one of them.
The project was designed by Vazha Orbeladze in 2010. The piazza is made in the Venetian style and is devoid of Georgian flavor. The latter does not at all prevent the square from being a favorite place for locals and visitors. There are shops and restaurants, and sometimes artists perform right under the open sky. Construction was carried out at the intersection of pedestrian streets, so the noise of the city coming here is minimal.
It is located in Old Batumi and was named after the Argonauts in the past. The area has many architectural features as the houses were built in different periods and in mixed styles. World celebrities often choose the area for their performances. Singing fountains in the evening become the center of attraction for the townspeople. There is also a statue of Medea with a golden fleece in crayfish. The total height of the structure is 130 meters.
The building of the National Bank of the country is decorated with an astronomical clock - a real work of art. At the ends of the arrows are placed the moon and the sun. Every hour the clock strikes a melody. The device is "multi-layered", as it has several functions. From them you can determine not only the time, but also the phases of the moon, the position of the sun, the horizon and the meridian. The watch face is illuminated in a special way.
Ethnographic Museum "Borjgalo"
It is located near the city and tells about the life and culture of the Adjarian village. The exposition includes models of temples and other religious objects in Georgia. There is also a collection of national costumes. In total, about 30 buildings were installed within the Borjgalo area. Kemal Turmanidze, the founder of the museum, is engaged in woodcarving and cordially shows tourists his own work.
Drama Theatre. I. Chavchavadze
The time of foundation is considered to be 1912. Although at that time only seasonal troupes appeared on the stage. A permanent team was formed by 1937. It consisted mainly of graduates of the Adjarian studio of the Tbilisi theater. It flourished in the 60s and 70s. Performances throughout the history of the theater alternated: world classics went hand in hand with productions based on the works of local authors.
Installed on Theater Square. Mermaids are arranged in three tiers around the golden Neptune. In the past, this place was a monument to the writer I. Chavchavadze. The fountain was created in the Greek style in the likeness of a colleague from Bologna. Not all residents of the city were able to appreciate such a replacement. But for tourists, the attraction is of genuine interest. A complete walking area has been created around.
Batumi Archaeological Museum
Exists since 1994. The funds comprise more than 22 thousand storage units. The exhibits are archaeological finds on the territory of Adjara. Since representatives of different peoples and cultures lived here at different times, the collection turned out to be diverse and unlike any other. In 2007, an exposition was opened showing samples of jewelry art. The museum has a restoration department.
Museum of Adjara
Created in 1908 and named after Khariton Akhvlediani, a public figure. The collection grew, and in 1935 it needed a new building. The museum occupies the premises then received to this day. Among the exhibits are rare books and manuscripts in different languages, art objects, and a photo archive. In addition, the archaeological and ethnographic departments, as well as the department of nature, are singled out.
Museum of Arts of Adjara
Founded in 1998. The collection occupies a building built in 1949 in the Stalinist Empire style. In the past, there was a museum dedicated to the October Revolution. 423 m² is allocated for the permanent exhibition, and 383 m² for temporary exhibitions. The collection consists of paintings, sculptures and engravings by Georgian artists, as well as recognized masters from other countries. The museum has a children's studio.
Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
It was erected at the turn of the XIX-XX centuries. It was originally a Roman Catholic church. This can be seen primarily in the Gothic style of the building. During the Soviet era, it was not used for its intended purpose. Believers have long tried to regain the cathedral. As a result, it was handed over to the Orthodox Church and made a cathedral. At the entrance there are statues of Simon the Zealot and Andrew the First-Called.
Church of the Holy Christ the Savior
Refers to the Armenian Apostolic Church. Construction was carried out in the 80s of the last century under the guidance of architect Robert Marfeld. The building was not used for its intended purpose. In order to resume services in the church again, an extensive reconstruction had to be carried out. It took several years, and the doors of the temple reopened to believers in 2000. Now there is a youth center and a Sunday school.
Church of the Holy Trinity on Mount Sameba
From the city center to the temple to get about half an hour. It was built in the middle of the last century. However, the original building was destroyed in a fire. The new one was erected later, and the last reconstruction took place already in the 21st century. The peculiarity of the location makes the area foggy in cloudy weather. The rest of the time, a beautiful view of Batumi from the observation deck opens from here.
Church of St. Nicholas
It was built in the 19th century at the request of the Greek part of the city's population. With the advent of Soviet power, the church was closed. During the war, it was damaged and fell into disrepair. In peacetime, reconstruction took place with the donations of believers. Since 1946, it has again been opened to the flock, but with some restrictions. Bright blue windows and alternating stripes on the exterior walls make the building stand out.
Alberto Domingo Cabo, an architect from Spain, was responsible for the construction of this attraction in 2012. The tower is located in the "Park of Miracles". The project was conceived as a reference to the appearance of the DNA molecule. Nucleotides to it are the letters of the Georgian alphabet. The metal structure has a height of 130 m. At the top there is an observatory, a restaurant and a TV studio. You can only go up there by elevator.
The tower was built in 2012. Its height is about 25 meters. In fact, this building is a fountain surrounded by pools. Once a week for 15 minutes, anyone can treat themselves to chacha here. The national Georgian drink needs no introduction, but the city wants as many people as possible to know about it. The landmark appeared precisely to popularize the drink.
There are three such fountains in the city. Two of them offer something like an attraction: you need to run between the streams of water and not get wet. The most remarkable of the dancing fountains is installed on the Ardagan lake. The performance starts after 9 pm and continues until midnight. To the music and the water that reacts to it, a laser show is often added. It is better to shoot from the side where the mountains are visible in the background.
May 6 Park
One of the historical places of the city. It was broken up in 1881 next to Lake Nurie. In the past, the park was called Aleksandrovsky. After the "velvet revolution" that took place in 2004, it received its current name. The entrance is designed as a colonnade, although otherwise the park is not separated from other areas of the city. There are cafes, children's attractions and a small zoo. Inspection of enclosures with primates and birds is paid.
Located near the entrance to the park "May 6". The entertainment center impresses with its size. The dolphinarium opened in the mid-70s of the last century, but was subsequently modernized. He became the first in the USSR, and now is the most famous in Georgia. There are three pools on its territory, allowing you to give different performances with the participation of not only dolphins, but seals. Seats for spectators are made in the style of an amphitheater.
Batumi Botanical Garden
One of the largest botanical gardens in the world was founded in 1880. However, it was opened to visitors only 30 years later. In its structure, it resembles the gardens of Babylon and descends from the mountains to the sea in tiers. About 5,000 plant species from different parts of the world have been collected on an area of 110 hectares. Almost nearby, Japanese sakura and magnolias, eucalyptus and cacti, cypresses and date palms coexist.
Cable car "Argo"
The longest cable car in Georgia was opened in 2013. The length is 2600 meters, and the height is up to 250 meters. In cozy little cabins, tourists climb the mountain. Along the way, there is an opportunity to see Batumi from an unusual angle. At the top, guests of the city will find not only an equipped observation deck, but also frequent performances. When buying a ticket, the road is immediately paid in both directions.
Located 15 km from the city. One of the oldest in Georgia: mentioned in the 1st century and originally served as a Roman outpost. Although time has not spared the once impregnable fortifications, they are well preserved for their age. On the territory of the fortress, Matthew is buried, who took his place among the apostles after the betrayal of Christ by Judas. Tourists come here, including for the sake of clean beaches.
Makhuntseti Waterfall and Queen Tamara Bridge
About an hour's drive from the city, you can find an island of unique Adjarian nature. The waterfall reaches a height of 20 meters. It fills the Adzharistskali River with pure mountain water. The arched bridge of Queen Tamara is very close by. It is made of stone and blends seamlessly into the local landscape. On the way to these two attractions, it is worth stopping by the famous wine house, named after the river.
Since the city is a resort, there are many beaches within its boundaries and in the surrounding area. Most of them are pebbly. The most popular is Batumi Beach. It stretches along the Black Sea coast for 6 km. Developed infrastructure allows it to be filled to capacity during the season. The beaches near the airport and the New Boulevard are also in demand. The entrance to the water is less convenient here, but they are still suitable for swimming.