The appearance of the city is an overlay of the provincial buildings of the past on modern trends. The city managed to preserve examples of wooden architecture, church facades and old administrative buildings. Among the buildings on almost every street you can find a monument of architecture of the XIX-XX centuries.
The natural component is also important in the beauties of Barnaul. For example, the longest ribbon forest in Western Siberia is a great place to relax. Fauna lovers should go to the city zoo or drive to the village of Vlasikha and take a walk around the ostrich ranch.
Among the museums there are exhibitions and expositions of several directions: scientific, related to culture, literary criticism. There are also special excursion tours that allow you to get to know the city better.
What to see and where to go in Barnaul?
The most interesting and beautiful places for walking. Photos and a short description.
The territory began to be developed in 1772. Thus, a cemetery appeared between the Ob and Barnulka rivers. In the 30s of the last century, they almost completely got rid of it, setting up a park on this site. In 1956, an agricultural exhibition was held here. The fire and partial collapse of the shore brought the pavilions to a deplorable state. Now they are trying to restore the park to its former splendor: they held a graffiti festival, they began to build a temple.
house under the spire
Built in 1956 on October Square. The architectural style is Soviet classicism. Stone plaster with mica was used in the exterior decoration of the building. On the ground floor there is a grocery store, above - residential apartments with an improved layout. The height of the house is 46 meters, of which 15 meters fall on the spire. At the moment, many communications are worn out, and the weather vane does not work either. Fundraising for renovations.
House of merchants Yakovlev and Polyakov
Recognized as an architectural monument of the early XX century. The two-storey building was built in the Central district of the city in the Art Nouveau style. The masonry is red and white, arched and round windows, a spire is erected on the dome. The general harmony of the old buildings is somewhat violated by a massive four-storey building attached close in the 70s. There is no stylistic transition, so the merchant's house began to stand out more.
House of merchants Shadrin
Built at the beginning of the 20th century on Krasnoarmeisky Prospekt. One of the brightest examples of wooden architecture in Siberia. The facade is decorated with carved inserts. The Soviet restaurant "Russian Samovar" was replaced by a more modern "Emperor". It has been under renovation since 2016. After the completion of the work, a catering establishment will reappear here. The house is included in the list of cultural heritage sites.
The building is recognized as an architectural monument of the 18th century. During the development of Siberia, there was a point for the distribution of medicines. There was also a pharmacist's house, storage rooms, a laboratory and student rooms. Now a tourist center is based here. It has a museum that tells the history of pharmacy business in the region. In addition, an exhibition of products of pharmacists of Altai was opened.
Its history dates back to 2000, when a small exhibition received premises at the library. By 2007, the museum was allocated two halls on Lenin Avenue. The exposition covers all stages of the formation of the city in its present form, starting from the time when Barnaul was a mining village. Specialist lectures are also given here, for example, “Temple architecture of Barnaul in the late 18th - early 19th centuries”.
Altai Museum of Local Lore
It is the receiver of the Barnaul Mining Museum, founded in 1823. In 1913, the collection was moved to a new building - a former chemical laboratory, where it is located now. The total number of exhibits is about 150 thousand. Among other things, archaeological finds, numismatics, household items typical of Altai, as well as a unique model of a steam engine, invented in 1763, are exhibited.
Art Museum of the Altai Territory
The collection originates from the collection of works of art by the inventor Pyotr Frolov. He organized the art department at the local history museum back in 1826. Subsequently, part of the painting was lost, but in 1959 a full-fledged art museum was opened. Canvases were transferred here, including the Hermitage from the Tretyakov Gallery. The funds include about 13 thousand exhibits.
Museum of entertaining sciences "How so ?!"
Located on Lenin Avenue. The interactive exhibition is divided into several halls. Each has its own mini-show. For example, in a mirrored room, thanks to an optical illusion, one person can "multiply" and become a crowd. Guides will tell visitors a lot of new things about soap bubbles, allowing them to consolidate their knowledge in practice. Science kits and constructors for every taste are also sold here.
Museum "World of Time"
Opening year - 2008. Under one sign, 2 departments and an exhibition hall are united. The exposition consists of items from different eras and places. Ancient coins and modern technical equipment can easily be nearby, on the shelves you can find mammoth teeth, household items of the Slavs, medieval clothes, weights. Most of the exhibits can be touched. The showroom also hosts guest collections.
Museum "World of Stone"
Based on the mineralogical collection of Sergei Berger. The museum has existed in its current form since 2010. Here are collected samples of rocks, fossils and minerals from all over the world. Museum staff conduct walking tours, both around the city and beyond. Tours are especially popular in the summer: the weather allows you to make long trips and see more interesting places at a time.
Youth Theater of Altai
Officially founded in 1958 and originated from an amateur studio that existed for several decades. During its existence, it has changed several addresses. The current hall can accommodate almost 500 spectators. The most successful period of the theater's existence is considered to be the time when it was headed by Valery Zolotukhin from 2003 to 2013. After the death of the artist, it was decided to name the theater in his honor.
Altai Regional Drama Theater
Founded in 1921. The oldest theater in Altai and one of the largest in Western Siberia. The current building of the theater was built in 1979, and in the middle of the 2000s it was completely reconstructed. There are two halls: the main hall accommodates 711 spectators, the "experimental stage" accommodates 183 spectators. The theater has a museum. In 1991 it was renamed in honor of Vasily Shukshin.
Altai Theater of Musical Comedy
Created in Biysk in 1960, and in 1964 moved to Barnaul. The first performance was the operetta Windrose. Initially, only musical comedies were planned to be staged here, but the repertoire at different periods included works of other genres. In 1972, the theater moved to a new building on Komsomolsky Prospekt, where it is located to this day. The troupe regularly tours the cities of Russia, less often - abroad.
Puppet Theater "Fairy Tale"
Organized in 1938, initially did not have its own building. The troupe toured various cities. After the war, the theater was closed and revived only in 1963. Temporarily, the artists settled in the Philharmonic. After 7 years, they received a permanent residence permit on Pushkin Street, where they remain to this day. Most of the repertoire is designed for children, but sometimes performances are staged for an adult audience.
The abbreviation hides a museum of the history of literature, art and culture of Altai. Its doors have been open to guests since 1989. The funds contain more than 78 thousand exhibits. This includes the personal collections of cinematographer Shukshin, artist Roerich, and writer Grebenshchikov. The museum building is an architectural monument of the late 19th century. There are three branches - the memorial museums of the artists Zolotukhin and Savinova and the poet Rozhdestvensky.
It was founded in 1898 on the site where a wooden church once stood. The architectural style is neo-Byzantine, built mainly of red brick. The interior decoration is characterized by the painting of the walls with biblical scenes. Has 4 thrones. After the revolution, it was closed, but restoration began already in the 40s. For a while he was the only one in the city. In the first half of the 1990s, a new bell tower was erected.
It was built in 1906 according to the project of the architect Verzhbitsky. It was located near the barracks and was considered "regimental". In 1935, the temple was looted, including the removal of the dome. A club was based within the walls of the church for some time, then the premises fell into disrepair. Reconstruction was carried out at the end of the 20th century. The red brick building was renovated, a new iconostasis was installed, and the interior walls were painted.
Appeared in 1994 at the church of the same name. At the same time, work was underway to restore the temple. Including installed a new iconostasis and opened the bell tower. The first abbess of the convent is buried next to the altar apses. The monastery has several valuable relics, for example, the “Fadeless Color” icon, painted on Athos in 1902, and a particle of the relics of the Martyr Elizabeth.
Monument to V. M. Shukshin
Installed in the Leninsky district of the city in 1989. The opening was timed to coincide with Shukshin's 60th birthday. The author of the brass monument was Nikolai Zvonkov. The work took over a year and a half. The composition was assembled first in the workshop, and then in the workshop. Later, the sculpture was erected on a granite pedestal, and a square was laid out around. Among other things, they planted a red viburnum. The Shukshin Readings are held here annually.
Monument to settlers in Altai
The opening took place in 2012. The author of the project is Oleg Zakomorny. This is the first monument in the country, praising the difficult work of a migrant peasant. The composition was installed on a high pedestal. In the center are two figures - an adult sower and a child following him. Behind them are trees, the sun, clouds and birds. Each detail has its own semantic meaning, sometimes abstract.
Appeared at the beginning of the last century on the site of a cemetery. Area - 40 hectares. In 1939, an artificial pond appeared. The park currently houses a planetarium. Its building is listed as an architectural monument and was a church in the past. In winter, ski runs run through the park. In the summer there are rides and concerts. There is a motor city where children are taught the rules of behavior on the roads.
It is located in the Industrial District in the picturesque park "Forest Fairy Tale". The official opening date is 2010. At the same time, the zoo has developed from a living corner, formed in 1995. Area - 7 hectares. Animals - more than 140, and birds - about 50 species. Among the pets of the zoo there are both typical representatives of the region and rare specimens, such as a peacock or an Amur leopard.
Ostrich Ranch (Vlasikha)
Located in the village of Vlasikha. You can visit any day for a reasonable fee. Although the ranch is open until 6 pm, the owners allow visitors to linger. There are many large enclosures on the territory. Not only ostriches live in them. There are plenty of animal species: rabbits, peacocks, camels, deer, chickens, geese, guinea pigs. Some can be stroked and fed. There are places for rest and lunch.
Barnaul Ribbon Forest
It stretches for 550 km along the left bank of the Ob. Width - from 8 to 10 km. The longest in Western Siberia. In addition to pine, there are birches and aspens. Among the rare birds, the black stork can be distinguished. Popular place for hiking. Many recreation centers have been built in the forest or near it. Volunteers keep the area clean. At the junction with the Kasmalinsky tape forest, the Yegoryevsky reserve was formed.