Mogilev is one of the most eventful cities in Belarus. The Dnieper divides it into two parts, which gives the district strategic importance. The city played an important role in the Northern War, and was also seriously damaged during World War II. In the course of history, the ownership of the city changed. It was part of the Principality of Lithuania and the Commonwealth. This was reflected, among other things, in the appearance of streets and buildings: even now Mogilev is more like its neighbors than the cities of Western Europe.
Many architectural monuments have been preserved, although some, like the town hall, had to be restored from scratch. Green areas from the embankment to the Pechersky Forest Park are a great addition to the architectural beauties. And one of the most interesting city projects is the Astrologer, an unusual sundial in the form of a sculptural composition.
What to see and where to go in Mogilev?
The most interesting and beautiful places for walking. Photos and a short description.
The first building on this site appeared in the second half of the 16th century. It was wooden and repeatedly suffered from fires. One hundred years later, the construction of the stone town hall began. Its height was 46 meters. During the Great Patriotic War, such an important city facility was blown up. The new version of the town hall was opened only in 2008. It acquired modern features, but retained the classic style.
"Fighters for Soviet Power"
The opening took place in 1982 on Sovetskaya Square. The memorial complex appeared on the site of the building where Nicholas II lived for some time in the last years of his reign. A granite stele 13 meters high is crowned by a 7-meter sculpture of a woman. Her image, posture and flowing clothes symbolize victory. Bronze bas-reliefs tell about important events in the history of Mogilev, including the strengthening of Soviet power.
One of the oldest streets in the city: known since the 16th century. In the past it was called Trade and Big Governor's. Two-thirds of the total length of 1490 meters is the pedestrian part. During the walk, you can see the building of the city government, the reconstructed town hall, the former shopping malls, the bishop's courtyard, the church and the museum of painting. There are shops and cafes where tourists gain strength to continue their journey.
The Square of the Stars of Mogilev is similar to the "avenues of fame" that exist in different cities. The names of prominent people are immortalized here. The sculptural composition "Stargazer" is very suitable for such a place. In addition, the telescope and 12 chairs arranged around it according to the number of signs of the zodiac are a sundial. The author of such an unusual project is the Belarusian sculptor V. Zhbanov. The opening took place in 2003.
Cathedral of the Three Saints
The main Orthodox church in the city was built over 11 years and was consecrated in 1914. Named in honor of Basil the Great, John Chrysostom and Gregory the Theologian. You can go inside from three sides. After the fall of the autocracy, the temple worked intermittently until the 60s. The premises were given over to the club, the crosses and domes were removed, and the bell tower was also demolished. The cathedral was returned to believers 30 years later.
Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary and St. Stanislaus
Construction was carried out in the first half of the XVIII. Refers to examples of the Baroque style. One of the features is the painting of the vaulted ceiling with scenes from the Bible. The church that previously stood on this site was named after the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. In the middle of the last century, the cathedral was closed, and the premises were adapted for the archive. In the 90s he was returned to the diocese. From the same period, it hosts the festival of sacred music "Mighty God".
St. Nicholas Monastery
Initially, a nunnery appeared on this site in the 17th century. All wooden buildings burned down during the Great Northern War. The nuns were moved to a safer place, and the surviving and restored premises were occupied by the male monastery. Subsequently, only St. Nicholas Cathedral remained active. The monastery was completely closed under Soviet rule, and in 1996 the process of restoration began again as a convent.
Museum of the History of Mogilev
Opened in the City Hall in 1990. The exposition is located on 78 m². The funds contain about 7 thousand exhibits. The archaeological department focuses on the Slavic roots of the Belarusian people. The decoration of the collection is old printed books, as well as religious paraphernalia of different confessions. Also, attention is paid to the military period and the national costume. The museum hosts temporary exhibitions.
Mogilev Museum of Local Lore
The oldest museum in the city opened in 1867. In 1918, there was a merger with the church-archaeological museum. Funds were replenished in subsequent years. Collections of precious jewelry, books and icons have been added. During the war, most of the collection burned down, the rest was lost. Other cities provided exhibits to restore the museum. Now it has 4 departments: from antiquity to the Soviet period.
Museum of Ethnography
It is a branch of the local history museum and has been operating since 1981. The collection was assembled with the aim of telling visitors about the life and culture of the Belarusian peasantry. In 1999, the collection was moved to the building of the former Museum of the Decembrists. A large collection of traditional costumes has been collected. Exhibitions of folk craftsmen are also held here. For the annual Night of Museums, an updated program is prepared each time.
Mogilev Drama Theater
The red brick building for the theater was built in the 80s of the last century. However, the first performance was amateur, and subsequently only touring troupes rose to the stage for a long time. A team of artists appeared in Mogilev only in 1929. After the war, a creative vacuum formed again. Now all the difficulties of the theater are over: repairs have been made, equipment has been updated, performances are often sold out.
Art Museum named after P. V. Maslenikov
Opened in 1990 and named after the Belarusian artist and art historian. The building is an architectural monument in the Russian Art Nouveau style. The collection is based on works of realistic art of the 17th-19th centuries and ancient icons. One of the features of the museum is the presence of a restoration workshop. In addition, part of the exhibition space is given over to temporary exhibitions, lectures and musical evenings.
Museum of Byalynitsky-Biruli
The artist's memorial museum opened in 1982. The building is an architectural monument of the 17th century. Emperor of Austria Joseph II and Catherine II once lived here. The basis of the exposition was about 500 paintings by the master, donated by the National Art Museum. The rest of the exhibits are documents, photos, personal items, items from the workshop. Every year, on the birthday of Byalynitsky-Biruli, special excursions and concerts are held.
It was built in the 70-80s of the XVIII century and was part of the ensemble of the Spassky Monastery. Originally used by Archbishop George. During the Soviet period, it was turned into a residential building. During that period, the internal layout underwent significant changes. And the facade and sloping roof remained almost the same, even taking into account repairs and reconstructions. The building is now owned by the diocese.
Railway station building
When in 1900 Nicholas II ordered the construction of a railway line from Vitebsk to Zhlobin, the construction of the station building began in Mogilev. Getting to it was not easy, but gradually the city grew towards the station. During the First World War, Sergei Yesenin served here as a military orderly. Although the building retained its former features, it was completely reconstructed at the beginning of the century.
The memorial spreads over 20 hectares and is dedicated to the feat of the defenders of Mogilev during the Second World War. In 1941 there were bloody battles. A chapel 27 meters high was built in the center. Tablets with the names of the fallen heroes were installed on the walls. There is a crypt under the chapel: the remains of the Red Army soldiers found in the vicinity are still buried in it. Nearby exhibited military equipment of the past.
Created in 2004 on the basis of the local agrotechnical college. It occupies an area of 124 hectares along the Dnieper. The walking route is laid through the entire zoo. The walk passes along suspension bridges, near each enclosure and along forest paths. The railway route stretches for 2 km and takes visitors on a bison safari. Among the pets are moose, badgers, swans, wolves, as well as rare species from the Red Book.
"Belarusian village of the 19th century"
The cultural and entertainment complex is located near the city. It is generally called "Korchma", and the village itself is part of it. There are houses of craftsmen here: a weaver, a blacksmith, a baker, a potter, a carpenter. Handmade items can be purchased. A small hotel decorated in the style of the last century. And two restaurants offer European cuisine with an emphasis on local products and recipes.
Park area on the embankment of the river. Dubrovenka
The district was brought into proper form in 2000. The main changes affected the slopes, which were tiled, as well as new lighting and decor objects that appeared. The territory is crossed by many paths that go deep into the park area. Due to the presence of convenient slopes to the water, you can feed ducks and swans. In the middle of the riverbed, there is a floating fountain-geyser, and nearby there is a bridge with a sculpture of a mermaid.
Caves Forest Park
First mentioned in 1632. It is located in the north-west of the city on an area of 337 hectares. The lands belonged in the past to a Catholic bishop. After his death, the factories built here were liquidated, and the peasants were dismissed. With the advent of Soviet power, the territory was nationalized. Currently, the forest park is a venue for sports competitions and holidays.