Lipetsk is an industrial center, the foundation of which Peter I had a hand in. This fact is not forgotten by the inhabitants of the city: one of the squares is named after the emperor. There is also a monument to him. In the warm season, in the evenings, you can watch a real light and musical performance at the cascade of fountains on the square.
There are many architectural beauties and cultural heritage sites in Lipetsk. Some of the temple buildings are among them. The areas around are ennobled, many walking areas and places for recreation are “scattered” throughout the city. Animal lovers should visit the Lower Park. The local zoo has interesting species. Among them is a unique liger - a mixture of a lion and a tiger. There are only two of them in the country.
What to see and where to go in Lipetsk?
The most interesting and beautiful places for walking. Photos and a short description.
In the past it was called International, and since 1958 - named after Lenin. In 1993, it received a second official name - the Cathedral, therefore, to this day, both are valid. Notable buildings: the Nativity Cathedral, which has the status of a cathedral, the House of Soviets and a residential building where the Tsentralnaya Hotel is located. Nearby is a place for walking - the main staircase with a cascade of fountains.
It was built on the Cathedral Square according to the project of Tomaso Adamini. Consecrated in 1805, although the work was completed a couple of years before. After closing in 1931, the local history museum was placed within the walls of the cathedral. In 1991, the revival of the temple began, which received the status of a cathedral. Shrines: mahogany cancer with 81 particles of the relics of miracle workers and the icon of the Mother of God Passionate "Lipetsk".
The largest park in the city, founded in 1805. It owes its creation to Peter I. The emperor even had his own house nearby. Currently, the park hosts many social and cultural events, including New Year's festivities. An orchestra plays on weekends. Several monuments have been erected here, including the Memorial to the Narodnaya Volya. One of the main attractions is the zoo.
Peter the Great Square
In the past, it bore the name of Karl Marx. The project to create the square appeared in the 50s of the last century, but it was implemented only in the 80s. Subsequently, a cinema, houses and administrative buildings were erected around. Now it is here that city holidays are held. In 1996, a monument to Peter I was erected on the square. The figure of the emperor is placed on a high column, decorated with bas-reliefs and text inscriptions.
The reservoir was formed in 1703 during the construction of a dam on the Lipovka River. The territory was rarely put in order, and it fell into disrepair. Later, sculptures were installed around, but they did not last long. They seriously took up the pond in the noughties: they cleaned it, added lighting, laid a pipeline along the bottom. Even before the reconstruction, in 2003, a monument was opened for the 300th anniversary of the city.
Monument to the 300th anniversary of Lipetsk
Installed in 2003 in a public garden near Komsomolsky Pond. The sculptors are Mazur and Grishko. A gilded ship with very high masts is placed on a column. The total height is 9 meters. On the sides there are inscriptions referring to the moment of the founding of Lipetsk. The city arose due to the construction of factories here by decree of Peter I, which is reflected in the texts. Nearby are dummies of cannons of the Petrine era.
Lipetsk Regional Museum of Local Lore
Created in 1909. After almost 50 years, received the status of a regional. In 1991, he moved to the building where the House of Political Education used to be. The exposition is located in 18 halls. Among other things, there was a place for exhibitions about Peter I, merchants, and religion. Outreach activities cover educational institutions. The museum has a concert hall where musical evenings are held and the local orchestra of folk instruments performs.
Lipetsk Regional Art Museum
Opened on the basis of an art gallery. It has been in its current status since 2012. The building where the museum is located is Gubin's House. It is located in the historical part of the city and is famous for the visit of the heir to the throne. In 2005, a restoration was carried out to restore the historical appearance to the interior decoration. Funds - about 2 thousand exhibits. Mostly the works of Soviet and post-Soviet artists are collected here.
House of the Master
Exists since 1992. It is located in a two-story mansion, which was built at the beginning of the last century. Moscow artists and sculptors were regular guests here. In the 80s, the idea was born to adapt the architectural monument into a museum. It was named after the artist Sorokin. Paintings by Vilen Dmitrievich are the basis of the exhibition. The funds also contain works by other famous domestic masters.
House-Museum of G. V. Plekhanov
It is located on the street of the same name. The building was owned by the Plekhanov family, he spent the summer here. The first museum opened in the house in 1928. However, it was not originally dedicated to the theorist of Marxism. The profile was listed as historical and revolutionary. By the mid-1930s, the museum had become a memorial museum. During the reconstruction in 1969, the house collapsed. It was replaced with a copy and the exposition was reopened in the 70s. In 1998, a monument to Plekhanov appeared nearby.
Drama Theater named after L. N. Tolstoy
Year of foundation - 1921, became regional in the mid-50s. Popularity was due to the breadth of the repertoire. In fact, the theater combined drama, music and children's direction under one roof. The new building was received in 1968. Hall capacity - 841 seats. The only theater in the country named after Tolstoy was renamed in 1981. Since 1994 it has the status of a state academic.
Lipetsk State Puppet Theater
Appeared in the 60s of the last century. For a long time the troupe did not have a permanent home. They rehearsed wherever they had to, and performed at the venues of other cultural institutions. Only in 1998 the Palace of Culture built in the 1950s was given to the puppet theater. Its facade, stage and auditorium were restored by 2008. 188 people can attend the performance at the same time.
Holy Dormition Lipetsk Monastery
It was originally a church founded in the 17th century. During the reform, it was abolished in 1764. Architecture - Russian baroque. The building is not quite typical for its time and area. Among other things, the orientation of the axis is unusual: northeast - southwest. Also, there have never been bells here. In 1996, the church was returned to believers, and in 2003, a monastery was created on its basis.
Chapel of Peter and Paul
It was founded in 1872 on the site of a long-burnt wooden church. After the advent of Soviet power, the chapel lost its shrines: an icon in a silver robe and a Gospel dated 1783. In the 1930s, the building was demolished into bricks. In 1996, the chapel began to revive. However, another place was allocated for the construction - in the Lower Park, since a monument already stood on the former - Revolution Square. The consecration took place in 2002.
Erected in less than a couple of years by 1818. The refectory, the limits and the bell tower appeared later. Although the temple complex looks like a single whole, its appearance took shape throughout the 19th century. Officially, the temple was closed in 1935, but it did not operate before. The building alternately housed a warehouse, an office, a rental shop, a funeral parlour, and an archive. The church has been welcoming parishioners since the mid-1990s.
Church of the Nativity
It was built in the 60s of the XIX century in the village of Studenki, the territory of which has now become urban. After closing in 1937, the building was empty, and then used as a warehouse. In 1943 it was returned to believers. For a long time the temple was the only religious institution operating in the city. It has the status of an object of cultural heritage of regional significance. The church has a Sunday school.
Exists since 1954. The area is almost 14 hectares. The main place for entertainment in the park is the complex of the same name. Restaurant, karaoke, tea house - not a complete list of what surprises the visitors of "Bykhanov". The complex is aimed at a wide audience and can offer leisure activities for all ages. The park has a botanical value, as exotic species grow on its territory, such as black locust and prickly spruce.
Year of foundation - 1973. Area - 35 hectares. Broken on the western outskirts of the city. Dedicated to the 30th anniversary of the victory over Nazi Germany. Many residents were involved in tree planting. In the 80s, the first attractions appeared, and in the 90s, the summer scene began to work. At the same time, an open-air museum of military equipment became available. Among the exhibits there is a patrol boat that visited Berlin. Nearby is the tract Kamenny Log.
Fountains of Lipetsk
Sometimes Lipetsk is called the city of fountains. There are many of them, for example, on Theater Square, or at the Palace of Culture. The most remarkable is the cascade of fountains on Peter the Great Square. It was opened in 2006. In the evenings from May to October, the territory turns into a springboard for a real show: water, light and music merge together. People come here not only for walks, but also for photo shoots.
It has been operating since the early 1970s in the Lower Park. The area is just over 4 hectares. Pets - about 3.5 thousand. They represent about 320 species. In addition to the enclosures, there is an aquarium and a terrarium, as well as a petting zoo area. Thanks to cooperation with other cities, Lipetsk from time to time receives new representatives of the fauna. The most valuable animal is the liger, a hybrid of a lion and a tiger. There are only two of them in the country.