The ancient Russian city of Tver was once the center of the powerful Principality of Tver, which competed with Moscow for leadership. But in 1485, it finally lost, became part of the Muscovite state, and all the ambitions of the Tver princes remained in history.
Modern Tver is an important tourist center of Russia. The city has preserved many historical mansions of the 18th century, with which almost the entire Volga embankment is built up. Also of great interest are the temples of the XVII century, restored and kept in good condition.
The Volga River is worth a special mention. Within Tver, its banks are dressed in picturesque embankments, where landscaped areas for recreation and walks have been created, and spectacular bridges have been thrown across the river.
What to see and where to go in Tver?
The most interesting and beautiful places for walking. Photos and a short description.
Monument to Mikhail Krug
The popular Russian chanson performer Mikhail Krug was born in Tver. In 2002, he shared the fate of some of the heroes of his songs - he was killed as a result of an armed attack. After the death of the singer, his relatives and friends began raising funds for the installation of the monument. The monument appeared on the central boulevard of Tver in 2007. This event was preceded by protests from the city's intelligentsia, but the authorities, apparently, decided that the personality of the Circle was worthy to perpetuate it along with Prince Mikhail of Tver.
Embankment Athanasius Nikitin
The embankment stretches along the left bank of the Volga. There are many stylized restaurants and open-air verandas where tourists like to drop in during the warm season, and a simple walk along the alleys in this place can diversify evening leisure. There are several monuments in honor of famous historical figures on the embankment, and there is also a city amusement park.
Embankment of Stepan Razin
The central embankment, stretching along the right bank of the Volga. Local mansions, most of which were built in the XVIII-XIX centuries, are considered architectural monuments. The embankment begins at the City Garden, where the picturesque buildings of the Zvezda cinema and the House of the Voroshilov Riflemen stand, then passes under the Novovolzhsky Bridge and ends at the building of the women's diocesan school.
Pedestrian walking street, with a light hand nicknamed "Tver Arbat". The street was built up in the 18th century after the approval of the master plan. From 1901 to 1975, one of the first tram lines in the city worked here. Trekhsvyatskaya street is one of the most picturesque in Tver. There are many cafes, souvenir shops, impromptu venues for performances by street musicians.
The building was erected in 1938 in the so-called Stalinist Empire style. For a long time the station was an important transport point on the Volga. Until the end of the 80s. there were full-fledged river routes that connected Tver with Uglich and Rzhev, by the 2000s. only short pleasure trips remained. The station building looks spectacular from the side of the mooring ships, as passengers immediately see a monumental round rotunda and a sharp spire on the roof.
The complex is an architectural monument of the 18th century. The palace was built in the classical style with baroque elements according to the project of M. Kazakov. In the 19th century, the building was rebuilt by the architect K. Rossi at the request of the sister of Alexander I. The palace is located between the City Garden and the Starovolzhsky Bridge right in the historical center of Tver. From the 30s. XX century, the city art gallery is located here.
The quarter of the middle of the 19th century, specially built for the workers of the textile factory of the Morozov industrialists. The houses were built of red brick; the architecture of the buildings shows a clear influence of the “romanticized” Art Nouveau. The courtyard of the proletarian woman is a unique and picturesque sight with great potential, but no one is engaged in its restoration. People live in 100-year-old emergency dormitories, glass is broken at many buildings and facade elements are falling off.
The cinema building was erected in 1937 according to the project of V. Kalmykov. The architectural style is post-constructivism, located at the beginning of the Stepan Razin embankment. Until now, Zvezda has been fulfilling its functions and is one of the largest cinemas in the city and region. Five halls with a total capacity of more than 600 seats constantly show the latest Russian and foreign cinema. The building is an object of cultural heritage of the Russian Federation.
House of the Voroshilov Riflemen
Another name for the building is the House of the Red Commanders. The building is located on the Stepan Razin embankment; it was erected in 1935 according to the design of V. Anferov. The house of the Voroshilov Riflemen was used as a military headquarters, a hospital and a military pedagogical institute. Today, on its territory there is a hotel and a hostel of the Military Academy of the East Kazakhstan Region. G.K. Zhukov.
White Trinity Church
The temple is the oldest building on the territory of Tver. Its construction dates back to 1564. The building was rebuilt in the 18th and 19th centuries. Inside, an ancient iconostasis has been preserved, the wall painting belongs to a later period - the 19th-20th centuries. The church was built of white stone and brick, equipped with a hipped bell tower and several domes. The main shrine is a shrine with the relics of Macarius Kalyazinsky.
Church of the Three Confessors
The temple is located on the embankment of Athanasius Nikitin. Its construction began in 1728 after the dismantling of the old and dilapidated wooden church, which was located on this site. The Tver merchant G. Sedov allocated money for the work. The historical building was erected in the Baroque style, but as a result of later reconstructions, Empire and early classicism became the predominant style. The original frescoes of the temple were destroyed during the Soviet era.
The temple is located in the center of Tver at the intersection of Tverskoy Prospekt and Sovetskaya Street. The building was built in the middle of the 18th century, until that moment a wooden church with the same name already existed in its place. In 1936, the temple was closed, and an exhibition of the local history museum was housed on its territory. In 1972 the building was renovated, in 1991 it was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church.
Monastery of the Nativity
Women's monastery, supposedly operating since the 15th century (according to an alternative version, the monastery appeared in the 14th century). The complex was devastated during the Time of Troubles, after which it began to quickly fall into decay. Until the beginning of the 19th century, most of the buildings were wooden. Thanks to the generous donations of Countess A. Chernysheva, the monastery was rebuilt and renovated, many dilapidated buildings were replaced with new ones.
St. Catherine's Convent
The monastery appeared in the 20s. XVII century, at the end of the XVIII century, it was rebuilt from stone. During the Soviet era, the complex fell into disrepair, many buildings were dismantled or collapsed on their own. Divine services in the monastery church were resumed in 1989. The status of a full-fledged monastery was taught to the monastery in 1996. In the early 2000s large-scale restoration work began, as a result of which the bell tower and several churches were restored.
Museum M.E. Saltykov-Shchedrin
The opening of the museum was timed to the 150th anniversary of the writer. The exposition was placed in the memorial house of the 18th century, where Saltykov-Shchedrin lived for two years as vice-governor. Before the opening of the museum, the building housed several dozen communal apartments. The collection acquaints visitors with the life, attitude and realities of the 19th century as the writer perceived and saw it.
The new museum, which opened in 2008. From the 13th century Tver produced products from goat skins, until the end of the 18th century the city was the largest supplier of dressed goatskin. There was even a separate microdistrict here - Saffyanovaya Sloboda, whose inhabitants sewed morocco boots for the royal court. The exposition of the museum is dedicated to the history of crafts related to the production of products from goat skins, contains many different exhibits: stuffed animals, figurines and toys made of various materials, coats of arms of countries and cities.
Museum of Tver life
The exposition of the museum is dedicated to the history and traditions of Tver crafts, as well as various aspects of the life of the townspeople. The collection consists of various crafts, household items, church utensils, home textiles, clothing, jewelry and more. There is even jewelry made in the 16th-19th centuries, old samovars and home weaving equipment. The museum was organized in 1970.
Tver Academic Drama Theater
The Tver theater troupe was formed in the middle of the 18th century at the theological seminary. By the end of the 19th century, the theater moved to the building of Gostiny Dvor, located on Millionnaya Street. During the 20th century, the premises were reconstructed several times in order to adapt it as much as possible to the target needs. During the Great Patriotic War, the theater was destroyed, a new building was erected on the site of the old one.
Monument to Afanasy Nikitin
A native of Tver, Afansai Nikitin was a traveler, merchant and writer. In the period 1468-1474. he traveled to Persia, India, Muscat, Somalia and Turkey. Based on his impressions, A. Nikitin created the travel notes "Journey Beyond the Three Seas". The monument in honor of the pioneer was erected in 1955 on the left bank of the Volga. The sculpture is made of bronze, it reaches 4 meters in height and is set on a base in the form of a boat.
Monument to Mikhail Tverskoy
The monument was opened in 2008, its installation was timed to coincide with the Day of Slavic Literature and Culture. Prince Mikhail of Tverskoy is known for defeating the cavalry of the Horde Khan at the Battle of Bortenevo in 1317. This was the first major act of disobedience to the Mongol-Tatars in an open form, for which the prince was sentenced to death. To avoid a punitive campaign against the Principality of Tver, Mikhail himself went to the Khan and accepted death.
Obelisk of Victory
The monument was erected in 1970 on the site of the church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker (the building of the church was blown up in the 60s). At a height of 45.5 meters, the structure was created with the participation of architects, sculptors and engineers who worked on the project as a team. The monument is set on a foundation in the form of a torch bowl, at the foot there are bas-reliefs and texts that tell about the military exploits of soldiers.
An elegant bridge across the Volga River, built in 1897-1900. designed by engineers I. Mashek and V. Tochisky. The length of the structure reaches 215.5 m. With its outlines, the Starovolzhsky Bridge resembles the Freedom Bridge in Budapest. Until 1972, there were lanterns along the edges of the roadway of the structure, but then they were removed to Theater Square. In 1941, the bridge was blown up for strategic purposes, but already in 1947 it was completely restored.
The structure was erected in the 50s. XX century according to the project of A. Volovik. For the construction, the arched structures of the bridge of Lieutenant Schmidt of the 19th century were used, which were delivered to Kalinin (modern Tver) from St. Petersburg. The bridge was called Novovolzhsky, as the Starovolzhsky bridge already functioned in the city. Over the course of 70 years, the city has grown, the capacity has decreased, and the structure has become in need of expansion.
Botanical Garden of TVGU
The garden is located in the Zavolzhsky district of Tver. 350 species of trees and shrubs, about 2000 species of herbs grow on its territory. Initially, these lands belonged to the Otrochesky Monastery, but in 1879 the merchant I. Bobrov bought the territory and laid out the park. The trees that Bobrov planted with his own hands are still growing. Since 1989, the garden has moved to Tver State University.
A protected area located on the site of the destroyed Tver Kremlin. The park appeared in 1931 as a result of the merger of the Governor's, Palace and Public gardens. Park alleys are decorated with monuments to Mikhail Tverskoy, A. Pushkin, K. Marx. The city garden often becomes a venue for social events and celebrations. Amusements and summer cafes work for visitors.