Kursk is one of the spiritual and cultural centers of central Russia. The city was founded in the 10th century, from the 14th century it was part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, and at the beginning of the 16th century it was included in the territory of the Russian state. Tourists are waiting for magnificent architectural monuments - cathedrals, estates, monastic complexes, theaters that amaze with a variety of styles and built with the participation of talented craftsmen.
The most grandiose tourist site belongs to the events of the Second World War - this is an impressive memorial complex dedicated to the Battle of Kursk. If the city suddenly becomes boring, then you can go to the noble estates located a few tens of kilometers away to take a walk in the parks and see the lush interiors.
What to see and where to go in Kursk?
The most interesting and beautiful places for walking. Photos and a short description.
Memorial complex "Kursk Bulge"
The Battle of Kursk is one of the largest and most critical battles in the history of the Second World War. It was here that, at the cost of thousands of lives, Soviet troops managed to reverse the German offensive. A memorial complex in honor of this important event was opened in Kursk on the occasion of the 55th anniversary of the Victory. The elements of the ensemble occupy an area of 600 m². The "Kursk Bulge" consists of a museum-monument, an obelisk, a triumphal arch, a fighter model, an Eternal Flame, a chapel, a mass grave and recreated artillery points from where the arrows fired. At the entrance to the complex there is a T-34 tank on a pedestal and a monument to Soviet tankmen.
The central city square, on the site of which there used to be a fortress of the 17th century, residential buildings and the Resurrection Cathedral, destroyed by fire in 1781. The modern appearance of the square was formed in the 19th century, later it changed significantly due to the fact that in Soviet times many buildings were erected around. Many of these houses are now classified as architectural monuments.
Cathedral of the Sign
Orthodox church in the classical style, erected in honor of the victory in the Patriotic War of 1812. The building is very reminiscent of the European cathedrals of the Renaissance - the same monumental dimensions, a huge round dome, symmetrical proportions and an entrance portal supported by columns. In the Soviet years, the building was converted into a cinema, having worked on its external appearance. After the return of the Russian Orthodox Church, the cathedral was reconstructed.
The stone building was erected in 1768, after 20 years it received the status of the main city temple. The church is a building with classical and baroque elements. Above the main body in the form of a rectangle rises an octagon topped with a cross with a dome. Window openings are decorated with stucco elements. As a result of the latest restoration, the church was painted in a pleasant pink color.
Temple of the 18th century, built in the luxurious style of the Elizabethan Baroque, presumably by one of the representatives of the architectural school of B. Rastrelli. The building resembles a magnificent palace with slender rows of wide windows, classical columns and decorative pilasters placed on the facade. In the center there is a 4-tiered bell tower with a spire, on the side there is a two-storied quadrangle with a domed roof. The entrance is decorated in the form of a Greek portico.
Church of the Dormition of the Virgin
Catholic church of the late 19th century, built in neo-Gothic style. During the period 1938–97. the temple was not active. In Soviet times, most of the original decoration was destroyed, and all valuables were confiscated. Later, the building was adapted for a museum of atheism and a warehouse. After the building was returned to the Catholic community, it was put in order, and it again shone with its magnificent architecture.
Holy Trinity Monastery
Convent, presumably founded in the 17th century. Until 1680, all of its buildings were wooden, until a fire destroyed them. The first stone church was laid in 1895. The monastery houses several miraculous icons of the Mother of God, as well as the relics of saints and saints of God. In Soviet times, the community was dissolved, but in the 1990s, the complex, which had deteriorated due to lack of proper care, was returned to believers.
A male monastery founded in the 17th century by decree of Tsar Fyodor Ioannovich at the place where the icon of the Mother of God “The Sign” was found. The monastery is located a few dozen kilometers from Kursk. Pustyn is one of the most important pilgrimage centers in Russia. The picturesque buildings of the monastery - temples, gates, monuments and residential buildings are spread among meadows and forests on the high bank of the Tuskar River.
Kursk Museum of Local Lore
The museum was founded in 1903 on the initiative of the governor N. N. Gordeev. It was placed in the former Bishop's chambers built in the 19th century. The exposition is a standard set for such institutions: archaeological and ethnographic artifacts, household and household items, materials of the Great Patriotic War, photographs, antiques, paintings - more than 180 thousand items in total.
Kursk Museum of Archeology
The exposition opened in 1991. For the first two years, it was housed on the first floor of the Nizhne-Troitskaya Church, then moved to a stone merchant's mansion of the middle of the 18th century, built in the style of Moscow architecture. This is the only surviving building of that era that can be seen in Kursk. The collection consists of archaeological finds found on the territory of the Kursk region.
Drama Theater named after A. S. Pushkin
The Kursk drama stage is one of the oldest in Russia - it was founded in 1792. During its existence, the theater has changed several buildings. Today it is located in the construction of 1983. The name of A. S. Pushkin was given to the stage in 1937 in honor of the 100th anniversary of the poet. Today, performances are held in the large and small halls, the repertoire consists of classical works and modern plays.
Art Gallery named after A. A. Deineka
The city art gallery has a worthy collection, putting it on a par with Moscow art museums. The exhibition halls present works by European artists of the 16th–21st centuries, works by Russian masters, sculptures, and objects of arts and crafts. The gallery's collection has taken part in international and all-Russian vernissages many times.
Kursk State Puppet Theater
The institution was founded in 1944, but separate puppet shows, organized by a team of enthusiastic actors, have been going on in Kursk since 1935. Since 1965, the stage has been located in the building of the former women's gymnasium, built in the 1820s. The building is an architectural monument built in the eclectic style, combining the rigor of classicism and pretentiousness of decorative elements of the Baroque.
Aquapark "Wonder Island"
Indoor water amusement park, which received its first visitors in 2008. The area of the complex is 600 m², at the same time the territory can accommodate up to 700 people. In addition to the standard slides and pools, for a comfortable stay of guests there is a spa area with a Jacuzzi and a salt cave, artificial geysers and waterfalls decorating the space, and a bar.
Monument to Kursk Antonovka
Antonovka is one of the most common varieties of apples in Russia, which appeared as a result of "folk selection". The monument in his honor was created in 2004 by the sculptor V. M. Klykov, who was the author of many famous monuments. The sculpture is made in the form of a giant apple weighing 150 kg and 2 meters high (the statue is hollow inside). The iron fruit has a complete resemblance to the real one.
Building of the Nobility Assembly
A luxurious three-story building, a real palace with a richly decorated facade and an abundance of decorative details. The building was erected in 1877. Twice it was seriously damaged during fires, but each time it was restored. At various times, in addition to the Assembly of the Nobility, the Workers' Palace, the House of Officers, the Railwaymen's Club, and a museum were located on its territory.
Main Directorate of the Central Bank for the Kursk Region
The building, which today houses the Main Directorate of the Central Bank in the Kursk region, was erected in 1913. It was built for the Peasant Land Bank. The unusual and picturesque mansion is an example of the eclectic style with predominant Moorish motifs, as if it had miraculously moved to Kursk from the expanses of Spanish Andalusia. After a major overhaul, the building became an ornament of the city.
Railway station building
The city railway station was opened in 1868. The modern building was erected in the 1950s according to the project of I. G. Yavein. The building was built in the monumental Stalinist Empire style. The central façade of a deep red color is decorated with heavy stucco, the coat of arms of the USSR, as well as figures of soldiers and workers, are placed above the main entrance arch. There are memorial plaques on the rear façade facing the tracks.
Manor of Count Nelidov
The mansion was erected in the 19th century for the famous Russian nobleman - Count A.I. Nelidov, who acted as head of the Kursk province. A picturesque park with artificial ponds and apple orchards was organized around the estate. Nowadays, the estate houses the Moskva sanatorium, which is engaged in the maintenance and spot restoration of the architectural monument.
The palace and park ensemble is located 100 km from Kursk. It is a complex of buildings from the beginning of the 19th century, surrounded by a landscaped park. It includes the main house and a number of utility rooms. To see the luxurious interiors, you need to join an organized tour; you can walk around the park on your own if you purchase an entrance ticket.