Top 20 attractions of Kostroma, Russia

1 164
70 413

The city of Kostroma, the “empress”, as it is used to be called in folklore, is located on the picturesque banks of the Volga. This is the city where in the Time of Troubles fate was decided and the history of the Russian state was created, when the Zemsky Sobor appealed to the young Mikhail Romanov. The future tsar, who took refuge behind the walls of the Ipatiev Monastery, determined the entire further historical development of our country.

Kostroma is one of the centers of religious and ethnographic tourism, it is included in the classic Golden Ring route. In the central part of the city, absolutely charming carved huts, solid noble mansions and merchant shopping arcades have survived to this day. The former power, wealth and glory of the city eventually turned into an invaluable historical heritage.

What to see and where to go in Kostroma?

The most interesting and beautiful places for walking. Photos and a short description.

Fire Tower

Historical monument of the 19th century, built in the classical manner according to the project of P. Fursov. The architectural merits of the building were rightfully appreciated by Emperor Nicholas II during his visit to Kostroma in 1834. After that, the fire tower began to be called the most beautiful in the territory of the Russian Empire. Now the building is part of the complex of the Kostroma historical and architectural reserve.

Fire Tower

Trading rows

Ancient merchant premises located on the left bank of the Volga. They worked on the construction of shopping arcades for more than a hundred years and finished only by the beginning of the 19th century. Once Kostroma was a rich merchant city, the shopping malls were a symbol of the economic power of the city. The author of the project was the architect of German origin K. von Kler. Kostroma shopping malls are considered the most significant and best preserved in Russia.

Trading rows

Guardhouse

An architectural monument of the 19th century, located in the center of Kostroma on Susaninskaya Square. During the time of the empire, the building was used for its intended purpose - the offending military served their sentences here. With the advent of Soviet power, the guardhouse began to be used as a museum, then as a registry office and a library. Nowadays, the military-historical department of the city museum-reserve is located inside.

Guardhouse

House of Borshov

The mansion on Susaninskaya Square, built in the style of late classicism. The house belonged to General S. Borshov. It was built in the 20-30s. XIX century according to the project of P. Fursov (other sources indicate the authorship of N. Metlin). The building was badly damaged during a fire in 1847, the heirs of Borshov sold the dilapidated house to the merchant A. Pervushin. The businessman restored the mansion and opened a luxurious hotel in it called "London".

House of Borshov

Romanov Museum

The museum was opened in 1913, just in time for the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty. The architecture of the building is an imitation of an old Russian tower. Such a project was approved by the emperor and implemented by N. Gorlitsyn and L. Trebert. The museum exposition highlights the history of the Romanov family and important historical milestones in the life of the rulers. Also in the collections are paintings, archaeological finds and objects of applied art.

Romanov Museum

Nobility Assembly

The building is an example of the so-called "Russian provincial classicism", it was erected at the end of the 18th - beginning of the 19th century according to the project of M. Prave. The noble assembly was the center of the cultural life of the county aristocracy of the Kostroma province. Balls, receptions were held here, meetings were held on various administrative issues. After 1917, the House of Pioneers was placed in the mansion, in 1991 the building was transferred to the museum-reserve.

Nobility Assembly

Museum-Reserve "Kostroma Sloboda"

An open-air museum located near the Ipatiev Monastery. It was created in the middle of the 20th century. Wooden monuments of architecture of the 18th century, taken from the flooded territories, were transported to the territory of the museum. Later buildings of the 19th-20th centuries were added. Initially, the reserve was called the Kostroma Museum of Wooden Architecture. On its territory you can look at the huts, outbuildings and churches, completely made of wood.

Museum-Reserve Kostroma Sloboda

Museum of Nature of the Kostroma Region

The museum building on Molochnaya Gora Street used to house a tearoom of the Kostroma Sobriety Society, a stock exchange and a printing house. The exposition shows all the richness and diversity of the nature of the Kostroma region. The collection was formed thanks to the enthusiasts of the Kostroma Scientific Society. The museum actively formed funds throughout the 20th century. Since 2001, it has been functioning as a separate independent organization.

Museum of Nature of the Kostroma Region

Jewelery Museum

The museum opened relatively recently by historical standards - in 2013. The task of the museum collection is to acquaint the guests of the city with jewelry Kostroma. The city has always been considered the home of the best craftsmen, Kostroma jewelry can be seen in stores throughout Russia, so the creation of the Museum of Jewelry Art was just a matter of time. This is a small private collection of 500 exhibits belonging to the 17th-20th centuries.

Jewelery Museum

Forest Wonder Museum

The wooden building of the museum resembles a fabulous tower and a country mansion at the same time. Heroes of Russian fairy tales live inside: Baba Yaga, Vodyanoy, Miracle Yudo, Leshy and other magical characters. A visit to the Wonder Forest will not leave indifferent either children or adults, as everyone is familiar with the traditional fairy tales of our country. The museum is located on the way from the center of Kostroma to the Ipatiev Monastery.

Forest Wonder Museum

Museum of flax and birch bark

A small private collection created in 2005 by a citizen N. Zabavina. In more than 10 years of existence, the museum has gained popularity and has become a must-see on many tourist routes. The collection is made up of a variety of handicrafts made from traditional Kostroma flax and birch bark. The museum also has a souvenir shop where you can buy interesting gizmos and gifts.

Museum of flax and birch bark

Drama Theater named after A. N. Ostrovsky

The main theatrical platform of Kostroma and the region, which was built in the middle of the 19th century. Until that time, the city did not have a separate theater building. Famous plays by Ostrovsky and other playwrights were often staged on the stage from the very beginning. Many performances staged by local directors were successfully staged in St. Petersburg and Moscow, and also took part in prestigious theater festivals.

Drama Theater named after A. N. Ostrovsky

Holy Trinity Ipatiev Monastery

The Ipatiev Monastery is considered one of the most significant in Russia. The monastery is associated with important and defining historical events for our country. According to one version, it was founded in 1330 by a Horde commander who converted to Orthodoxy. Thanks to the patronage of the boyar family of the Godunovs, the monastery became very powerful and influential in the days of Medieval Rus'. Here, for some time, the founder of the Romanov dynasty, the young Tsar Mikhail, was hiding from enemies.

Holy Trinity Ipatiev Monastery

Bogoyavlensko-Anastasia Monastery

A convent founded by St. Nikita, a disciple and associate of Sergius of Radonezh, in the 16th century. In fact, the monastery was formed on the basis of three monasteries - Epiphany, Anastasiin and Holy Cross. During the Time of Troubles, it was plundered by the troops of False Dmitry II, restoration continued until the middle of the 17th century. The interior painting of the cathedral was made by G. Nikitin and S. Savin, but the original frescoes have not survived to this day.

Bogoyavlensko-Anastasia Monastery

Church of the Resurrection on Debre

The temple, located on the banks of the Lower Debra River, was first mentioned in 1628. The church was built at the expense of city residents. The building is the only posad temple preserved in its original form on the territory of Kostroma. Presumably, the interior was painted by G. Nikitin's artel. The first large-scale restoration of the temple was carried out at the beginning of the 19th century.

Church of the Resurrection on Debre

Monument to Ivan Susanin

The legend about Ivan Susanin, who led the Poles through the forests of Kostroma, is known to everyone. In honor of this selfless and devoted to the state peasant in 1967, a monument was erected on the Milk Hill. On it, the folk hero is depicted with pride and dignity, in contrast to the earlier destroyed monument, where Ivan is shown as a submissive little man, bowing before the majesty of the royal person.

Monument to Ivan Susanin

Terem Snegurochka

The habitat of the fabulous granddaughter of Santa Claus, where she lives with her assistants - brownies and the cat Bayun. The tower itself is part of an entertainment complex, which includes souvenir shops, a Russian cuisine restaurant, a belfry, and playgrounds. Fascinating and informative excursions are conducted for visitors throughout the complex, including the Snegurochka's tower.

Terem Snegurochka

Manor Sledovo

A noble estate of the beginning of the 18th century, which belonged to the ancient Kartsev family. Capable politicians, military leaders, scientists came out of this family. Around the estate there is a park with magnificent flower beds and galleries - a real reserve of rare plants. On its territory, the "Ball of Flowers" is held annually - a holiday with a concert program, games and grandiose exhibitions of bouquets.

Manor Sledovo

Sumarokovskaya elk farm

The farm was founded in 1963, and so far it is the only elk farm in Russia. Moose live here in greenhouse conditions, the life expectancy of local inhabitants is 8-10 years longer than that of their wild counterparts. Visitors are allowed to feed and stroke the animals. During the tour, people will learn many interesting features from the life of moose.

Sumarokovskaya elk farm

Arbor Ostrovsky

Arbor on the banks of the Volga, a landmark of the city and its recognizable symbol. It was built in 1956 on a high embankment, from where a picturesque view of Kostroma and the river valley opens. The gazebo is stylized as a noble building of the 18th-19th centuries; white stone was used in the construction. Some shots from the film "Cruel Romance", based on Ostrovsky's play "Dowry", were filmed in this place.

Arbor Ostrovsky