Murom is mentioned in The Tale of Bygone Years, the oldest written source that tells about historical events that took place on the territory of Rus' a long time ago. For such a small city, there are quite a lot of attractions here: four monasteries formed from the 11th to the 17th centuries, several Orthodox churches of great architectural value, a couple of noteworthy museums and stunning views of the banks of the Oka.
Murom is the birthplace of the well-known mighty hero Ilya Muromets, as well as the Orthodox saints Prince Peter and Princess Fevronia, in whose honor a holiday dedicated to family values \u200b\u200bis established on July 8. It is safe to say that the city became famous thanks to its famous inhabitants.
What to see and where to go in Murom?
The most interesting and beautiful places for walking. Photos and a short description.
Monument to Peter and Fevronia of Murom
Prince Peter and Princess Fevronia personify the ideal of the Orthodox family and are the patrons of devotion and love. Monuments in their honor already stand in 60 Russian cities. The Murom monument was erected in 2012 next to the Holy Trinity Convent. The composition, consisting of the figures of the prince, princess and a rabbit sitting at their feet, is mounted on a granite pedestal weighing 7 tons.
Monument to Ilya Muromets
The mighty knight from Russian epics was a real historical figure and came from the village of Karacharovo near Murom. City residents are very proud of their countryman and honor his glory in every possible way. In 1999, a monument in his honor was erected in the center of Murom within the Oksky Park, which eventually turned into a symbol of the city. The hero is depicted standing on a high pedestal with a sword in his raised hand.
If you enter Murom from the side of Vladimir, then by the road you can see a stone with the image of the face of the hero Ilya Muromets and an inscription in Old Slavonic - a quote from the Tale of Bygone Years, in which the first mention of Murom (862) is found. The block was installed in 1967. Since then, it has become a famous landmark and a mandatory stop for wedding processions.
Murom kalach is considered one of the city's symbols. The monument to delicacy was erected in 2012 near the central market. It is a 100-kilogram model about 2 meters in height. The monument appeared in Murom thanks to the initiative of a local entrepreneur and was made at his expense. There is a belief that if you come closer to the sculpture, you can feel the warmth and even the smell of fresh baking.
Square of the 1100th anniversary of Murom
The central city square, the first mention of which dates back to the 16th century. The main architectural structure that shapes its appearance is the city government building, built in the 1960s in the style of Soviet-style constructivism. Also on the square there is a small fountain and a flower alley. During official and folk holidays, this place is beautifully decorated with sculptures, arches made of ribbons and flowers, and decorative trees.
The street is one of the oldest in Murom - the first stone houses were built here, now considered monuments of urban planning. Today, these mansions, as before, house restaurants, shops, hotels and administrative offices. The main attractions are the Church of the Ascension of the Lord, built in 1729, the city art museum and the park.
The village of Karacharovo
Today, Karacharovo is one of the districts of Murom, previously it was a separate village. The famous Ilya Muromets was born and lived here for some time (before transferring to the service of the Kyiv prince). The first mention of the patrimony dates back to the 17th century - then the lands belonged to the family of the princes Cherkassky, later they passed to the Sheremetevs. Karacharovo was included in the city in 1960.
Men's monastery, located on the left bank of the Oka. The first mention of it can be found in the sources of the XI century. She also appears in The Tale of Bygone Years. The heyday of the monastery fell on the reign of Ivan the Terrible: the tsar granted vast lands to the brothers, ordered the construction of stone churches and endowed the hierarchs with numerous privileges. During the church reforms of Patriarch Nikon, the monastery was one of the pillars of the Old Believers.
Women's monastery, on the territory of which the relics of St. Peter and Fevronia, which is why it is a popular place of pilgrimage. The monastery was founded in the middle of the 17th century at the expense of the Murom merchant T. B. Tsvetnov on the site of the Old Town. The main temple - the Holy Trinity Cathedral is considered a reference architectural monument of Russian patterning and stands out with its elegant appearance among all other churches.
The male monastery, which is located in the central part of the city. It was founded by Ivan the Terrible himself in the 16th century on the site of the wooden Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. In 1616, the monastery was plundered by the Poles; it was revived only by the end of the 17th century. The relics of revered Orthodox saints Vasily of Murom and St. Julian are kept in the crypt of the main cathedral.
Another women's monastery in Murom, with several centuries of history. According to legend, the monastery was built on the site of one of the palaces of Peter and Fevronia. The monastery existed until 1764, after which it was abolished by decree of Catherine II. At the same time, all the lands were confiscated in favor of the state, and the monastic churches became parish ones. Only in 1998 monastic life resumed here.
Nikolo Embankment Church
Orthodox church of the 16th century, built in the Moscow baroque style, or rather, in its "regional" version. The church is located on the banks of the Oka River in the place where, according to legend, St. Nicholas the Wonderworker himself appeared several times. Until 1917, his image, painted in the 14th century, was kept here. Today the main shrine of the temple is the relics of St. Juliana Lazarevskaya.
Church of Cosmas and Damian
According to one popular belief (no one will remember whether it is fictional or not), the church was erected on the spot where Ivan the Terrible set up his tent, passing with the army through Murom to Kazan. He promised the townspeople that he would build stone temples in case of victory. So the church of Cosmas and Damian appeared. It is an example of white-stone architecture of the middle of the 17th century.
The Ascension Cathedral was built in 1729. According to written testimonies, a cold church had already stood here earlier. The building is a three-apse five-domed structure with a bell tower in the form of a tent. Services went on until the 1920s, then the religious institution was closed and the domes were removed from it. The re-consecration of the cathedral took place in 1999, the bell tower was restored almost immediately.
Murom Historical and Art Museum
The collection was founded in 1919 at the suggestion of a local resident V.I. Zhadin, a scientist, Doctor of Biological Sciences. The museum exposition occupies four mansions, which are architectural monuments, and consists of archaeological, artistic and historical exhibits. The main branch is housed in a building dating back to the 18th and 19th centuries, which previously belonged to the Zworykin family.
Museum "Khlebnaya Gornitsa"
The museum appeared in Murom in 2010, the initiators of the creation of the exposition were the private enterprise "Murom Baker". The collection is dedicated to the craft that has flourished in Murom since ancient times - the production and baking of various delicacies, primarily gingerbread and rolls. For visitors, the museum conducts interesting thematic excursions, some of which are timed to coincide with folk holidays.
Armored train "Ilya Muromets"
Armored train built in 1941-42 for the Red Army. The train was used during the Great Patriotic War. Thanks to 45 mm armor, he did not receive serious damage during the battles. With its help, several enemy aircraft, artillery batteries and the German armored train "Adolf Hitler" were destroyed. In 1971, "Ilya Muromets" was sent to the parking lot.
One of the main attractions of Murom can be considered a water tower, built more than 140 years ago at the expense of the city head A.V. Ermakov. The structure is a three-story brick tower with even rows of arched windows on each level. Interestingly, in 2008, on the day of the celebration of the 1146th anniversary of Murom, it started working again and began to pump water from an artesian well.
One of the oldest city squares. It was founded in the middle of the 19th century on the site of Oksky Boulevard. Previously, the Murom Kremlin was located here, which was dismantled in the 18th century by decree of Catherine II, as well as the Cathedral of the Nativity of the Mother of God destroyed during the Soviet era. Amusements were installed in the park in the middle of the 20th century. One of the main attractions of the place is the monument to Ilya Muromets.
Murom cable-stayed bridge
Modern bridge across the Oka, built in 2009. It connects Murom and the city of Navashino, which already belongs to the Nizhny Novgorod region. The structure is about 1.4 km long and 15 meters wide. Vehicle and pedestrian traffic is possible here. In 2013, the bridge received the honorary title of the most beautiful in Russia, ahead of even the grandiose pontoons built on the Siberian rivers by the number of votes.