Dubna is a city in the Moscow region that has had this status since 1956. During this time, the area became known as a center for rocket science and the study of nuclear physics. The science city gave the country and the world many discoveries. In honor of these pages of history, the Museum of the History of Science and Technology of JINR, as well as the Museum of the History of the Creation of Cruise Missiles, were opened.
Nature is the second reason for tourists to come here. Rest on the Ivankovsky reservoir in the warm season will leave a pleasant impression. There is also the only ginseng plantation in the region near Dubna. Here you can buy not only the roots of the plant, but also tinctures based on it.
What to see and where to go in Dubna?
The most interesting and beautiful places for walking. Photos and a short description.
Embankment named after D. I. Mendeleev
The historic city embankment received its current name in honor of the 175th anniversary of the birth of Mendeleev. A memorial plaque was erected at the same time. The embankment is a place for rest and walks. In summer, a sandy beach is available. Descent to the water is available, but in need of reconstruction. Trees have been planted along the coast. A large playground has been built. Lighting along the entire length of the embankment was updated not so long ago.
Alley of Memory
At the beginning of the alley, a stone with a memorial plaque was installed. It contains the names of soldiers who died in military conflicts. The alley goes to the Volga coast. The main object of the memorial is a snow-white rotunda. It was solemnly opened in 2000. Flowerbeds stretch along the central part of the alley. IL-2 stands on a pedestal nearby. The last time it rose into the sky in 1943, and became a monument in our century.
Monument to V. I. Lenin
Established in 1937 on the coast. The second largest monument to Lenin in the world. The height of the monument is 25 meters, together with the pedestal - 37 meters. Weight about 540 tons, sculptor S. Merkurov. Naportiv - pier "Big Volga". A sculpture of Stalin stood here for a short time. After the cult of personality was exposed, it was removed. The monument has a regional status of an object of cultural heritage.
Museum of the History of Science and Technology JINR
Open since 1993. The museum has three halls. The main exposition occupies the first hall, the second is reserved for temporary exhibitions, the third is an office for employees. During the tour, tourists will learn about the history of the development of nuclear physics in the country, get acquainted with unique archival photographs, and get access to audio materials. The museum has a library with scientific books and magazines.
Museum of the history of the creation of cruise missiles
Works since 2016. The main exhibits are rocket models. They are comparable in size to the originals and are made taking into account even the smallest details. During the tour, tourists will be told about the history of factories and the people who were behind the inventions of rockets and their production. The museum supports all-Russian educational programs, makes excursions for different age groups and participates in the Night at the Museum campaign.
Museum of Archeology and Local Lore
Open since 1994. Before that, it took 15 years to compile the collection. The museum began with one room. Now he has at his disposal several halls for a permanent exhibition and a depository. Sections cover important events in the history of Dubna, for example, the construction of the Moscow Canal. Attention is also paid to rocket science. The archaeological part of the museum displays furniture, coins, ceramics and sculptures.
Church of the Praise of the Blessed Virgin Mary
In the 20s of the 19th century, the first wooden church burned down from a lightning strike. The utensils and icons were saved. A year later, a stone building was erected. A parish school worked at the temple, later the limits and the bell tower were added. The church was destroyed after the revolution, crosses and bells were thrown down, icons were burned. The premises were given over to a workshop for the repair of agricultural machinery. The temple was returned to believers in the 80s, services are being conducted to this day.
Temple of the Smolensk Icon of the Mother of God
Created in the 90s of the last century. A Russian-style wooden temple stands among centuries-old pines. The building is part of the complex. Other notable objects are a baptismal in the name of Blessed Xenia of Petersburg, a figured gate crowned with a small tower, and two wooden crosses. On one of the crosses, the exit information about the temple is indicated, and the other is installed in memory of the liquidators of the consequences of the accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant.
House of Culture "Mir"
Built in 1954 and located on Vysotsky Alley. In addition to the site for live concerts, the House of Culture has exposition areas. Since Vladimir Semyonovich spoke at Mir, a monument was erected to him near the entrance. The capacity of the auditorium is about 700 people. The stage equipment is modern. This allows you to receive concerts of musicians and humorous programs.
Monument and alley of Vysotsky
The alley appeared in the city in the 50s of the last century. The name of Vysotsky was assigned to her in 2003. 5 years later, a monument to Vladimir Semyonovich was erected here. The sculpture by Oleg Yanovsky is made of metal. The artist's son was present at the opening of the monument. The place is picturesque: there is a lot of greenery, and nearby is the Mir House of Culture, where Vysotsky had repeatedly performed.
Mosaics by Nadia Leger
The main part of the exhibition is located in the square near the Palace of Culture "Mir". A few more exhibits are located near the Oktyabr Palace of Culture. Mosaic works were presented to the USSR in 1972. 20 out of 60 paintings settled permanently in Dubna. In the author's vision of the artist Nadia Leger, they depict people who have contributed to the development of culture and science of the country and the world. Among the "sitters": Plisetskaya, Mayakovsky, Leo Tolstoy.
Monument to Pontecorvo and Dzhelepov
Opened in 2013. V. Sergeev and D. Yarmin were responsible for the project. With the light hand of physicists V. Dzhelepov and B. Pontecorvo met on the alley and "froze" during a lively conversation. The composition of the monument reflects the measured life of the science city: outstanding people of science can easily chat on the streets of the city. Both had many achievements in their careers. Some of them are still hidden under the heading "Secret".
Monument to M. G. Meshcheryakov
Meshcheryakov was the founder and director of the local scientific center. A monument in his honor was erected on the 100th anniversary of the physicist in 2010. Sculptor - M. Saghatelyan. He depicted Meshcheryakov sitting on a bench, either thinking about a new scientific problem, or observing the fruits of his activities. It is located near the House of Culture "Mir" surrounded by other attractions.
Monuments to IL-2 and MIG-25 aircraft
Two aircraft became monuments at different times. IL-2 last flew in 1943. It was found about 15 years ago, restored and erected on a pedestal near the Alley of Memory. Local scientists contributed to the creation of the MIG-25. Therefore, one of the air combat vehicles received a permanent residence permit in the city. "Behind" the plane has a park. Thanks to the low pedestal, the MIG-25 can even be touched.
Located on the right bank of the city. The area, including the lake, is about 5 hectares. Here you can spend the whole day, and do various interesting things: from walking to shopping. On the territory of the park there is a lighthouse, a cinema, several cafes and restaurants, a large shopping center. There are sculptures throughout the park. Basically, these are fairy tale characters. A light and music fountain is installed on the lake.
The place where the art object was installed was the territory at the entrance to the city. The largest wooden piece of furniture in the country appeared here in 2005. The height of the chair is 9 meters. This model has long been produced at the Dubninsk factory. They decided to perpetuate the production in such an unusual way. The chair attracts the attention of passing by and guests of the city. It is also an obligatory part of the tour of the newlyweds, who arrange photo shoots here.
A private farm is opened in the village of Kreva near Dubna. The name "Panax" was not given to him by chance. From Latin it is translated as ginseng. This particular plant has been cultivated here since the 90s of the last century. Tourists are not only guided through the plantation and shown the territory, but also offered to make purchases. Among the products are ginseng root and all kinds of tinctures based on it.
Big Volga Lighthouse
It was built in the 30s of the last century on the banks of the Moscow Canal. Used to navigate ships during fog. It was the only large river lighthouse in the area. Not working at the moment. Its location does not allow you to come close or inspect the building from the inside. A good view of the building is from the side of Lake Lebyazhye. Tourists come here often: nature around is untouched by people, mushroom places and excellent bite.
It was built in the 30s of the XX century. It is famous for the design of its locks and the system of pumps that raise water from the Volga. The channel is navigable. In Dubna, when traveling between the Tula and Moscow regions, tourists use the ferry. The queue for it can be delayed, but the crossing itself lasts about 5 minutes. Although there are delays due to oncoming barges or other vessels.
Ivankovskoye reservoir and hydroelectric power station
The construction of the hydroelectric power station began in 1933, and a few years later it was already fully commissioned. The power of the hydroelectric power station is small, the structure is used almost to the maximum of its capabilities. The resulting reservoir has an area of 316 km². It supplies water not only to Dubna, but also to Moscow. In the warm season, along the banks of the reservoir, you can meet vacationers and fishermen.