The history of Bryansk began in the 10th century with the construction of a defensive fortress, which eventually turned into one of the important cultural and spiritual centers of Southwestern Rus'. Unfortunately, even its ruins have not survived to this day. However, the serious development of the region began only in the time of Peter the Great, when Bryansk was chosen as a transshipment base for organizing the Azov campaigns.
The city has many noteworthy tourist sites: Orthodox churches, memorable memorials in honor of the defenders and heroes of the Great Patriotic War, museums and theaters. The picturesque Dvina flows through Bryansk, whose right bank effectively rises above the water surface, and the left is dotted with small sandy spits.
What to see and where to go in Bryansk?
The most interesting and beautiful places for walking. Photos and a short description.
Mound of Immortality
Monument in honor of the fallen during the Great Patriotic War. It stands on top of an artificial hill in the Nightingale Park. The monument is made in the form of pylons, which form a five-pointed star. There is a wide area around, from where the left bank of the Desna is clearly visible. The land for the creation of the mound was delivered from mass graves located in the Bryansk region and the hero cities of the USSR. The monument was erected in the period 1967-1972.
Pedestrian street in the historical center of Bryansk, 1 km long. It starts with a staircase in the coastal part and then goes into a gentle alley. The original name of the place is Rozhdestvenskaya Gora in honor of the Church of the Nativity destroyed in Soviet times. A monument to Yu. A. Gagarin was erected on the boulevard (the cosmonaut visited Bryansk in 1966 and walked along this street). Most of the houses were built in the 19th century.
Two well-known monuments have been erected on Pokrovskaya Gora: a sculptural group depicting the hero Peresvet, a participant in the Battle of Kulikovo, and the gusliar Boyan, as well as a monument in honor of the 1000th anniversary of the city, made in the form of a stele and the figure of a woman crowning it with a hammer and sickle. Along the edges are other figures: a soldier, a worker and a revolutionary. From the top of the mountain, a beautiful panorama of the city and the banks of the Desna opens up.
The modern Partizan Square arose on the site of the historical Khlebnaya Square, which was on the city plan back in the 18th century. Its main attraction is the monument to the liberators of Bryansk, erected in the 1960s and glorifying the feat of the soldiers and partisans of the Bryansk region. The monument consists of a 22-meter obelisk of Victory and sculptural groups located on the sides depicting partisans and warriors.
Bryansk Regional Museum
The museum started operating in 1921. The basis of his collection was the property confiscated from churches and noble estates. Before the German occupation during the Second World War, the number of exhibits exceeded 2000, but these funds were destroyed. The institution was reopened in 1949, the material for exhibitions had to be collected again. To date, the exposition consists of several departments dedicated to archeology, the nature of the region, ethnography and history.
Museum of the Tkachev brothers
A.P. and S.P. Tkachev are Russian painters, natives of the Bryansk province. The museum in their honor was opened in 1995 on the territory of a small mansion of the beginning of the 20th century, located not far from the family home of the brothers, which was destroyed during the Second World War. The collection consists of paintings, personal items, documents relating to the life and work of artists. The museum offers interesting themed tours.
Drama Theater named after A. K. Tolstoy
The oldest theater in the region, founded in 1926. It is located in the building of the former House of Soviets, built according to the design of the Moscow architect A. Z. Grinberg at the same time. It is a mixture of classical style and Soviet constructivism. The main entrance is decorated in the form of a traditional portico with columns and decorated with stucco bas-reliefs. The building was destroyed during the Second World War and rebuilt in 1949.
Bryansk theater for young spectators
Basically, the repertoire of the theater is aimed at children and teenagers, but there are also performances for adults - plays based on the works of Shakespeare, Pushkin, Ostrovsky, Molière and other playwrights. In 2013, the stage was combined with the Bryansk Regional Puppet Theatre. The performances take place in a building built in 1960, built in the style of late classicism. The troupe regularly goes on tour, participates in festivals and does charity work.
The cathedral was built in 2012. He became the successor of the temple destroyed in 1968. Until the completion of construction work, the Resurrection Church was considered the main religious institution of the city. The building is a classic quadrilateral, ending with decorative arches and crowned with five domes. Nearby is the bell tower "Peresvet", reaching a height of 80 meters. A dome with a cross is erected on its top.
Church of the Resurrection
An Orthodox church built in the classical and baroque style in the middle of the 18th century as a cathedral for the Resurrection Convent, which ceased to exist in 1766. Inside the building, a painting of the 19th century has been preserved. As a result of the restoration of the 1980s, the building regained its historical appearance (in the 1930s, it suffered significant damage after it was closed and converted into a consumer services complex).
Intercession Cathedral is located on the hill of the same name. It is considered the oldest temple in Bryansk. The stone building was erected in 1698 to replace the wooden church of 1603, which stood for almost a century. Funds for the construction were allocated by the steward E. T. Alymov. At the beginning of the 19th century, the bell tower was rebuilt. In architectural terms, the building is a mixture of the traditions of Russian architecture of the 17th century with the techniques of the Naryshkin baroque.
Orthodox church of the beginning of the 20th century, built with the money of the church warden and merchant P. S. Mogilevtsev. The Bryansk architect N. A. Lebedev worked on the project, who chose the neo-Russian style for his creation. The name "Savior-Grobovsky" temple was due to the fact that it was erected on the burial site of Nectarius and Nathanael - local bishops. In the 1930s, the church was closed and its upper part was destroyed, restoration began in the 1980s.
The main temple of the Gorno-Nikolskaya monastery, built in the 17th century in the Baroque style (the bell tower has pronounced features of classicism). It has reached our days almost unchanged, only the internal painting has not been preserved. In Soviet times, an archive and a planetarium were located inside, in 1999 the building was transferred to the Russian Orthodox Church. The monastery on the basis of the temple was founded in 2002.
Peter and Paul Convent
The monastery is the oldest in the Bryansk region; it was founded at the end of the 13th century. However, the oldest buildings that have survived to this day date back to the 18th century. The first time the monastery was abolished in 1830, but three years later it was reborn as a convent. The second closure occurred in the 20th century after the advent of Soviet power. In 2002, monastic life resumed.
Men's monastery, founded, according to unconfirmed data, in 1288. Written references to the monastery can be found in the sources of the 16th century, when, by decree of Ivan the Terrible, two stone churches were erected on this site. Most of the buildings belong to the so-called Sloboda baroque, typical for church building in Ukraine in the 17th century. Initially, the institution was called the Pig Monastery, but later it was renamed to avoid misunderstandings.
Park-Museum named after A. K. Tolstoy
City park founded in 1936. It bears the name of A. K. Tolstov, who was born in the Bryansk region and spent the last years of his life in his childhood home. According to the original project, the creators planned to place an exposition dedicated to the writer on the territory, but this did not happen. The park has a collection of interesting wooden sculptures decorating the alleys. There are rides and cafes for visitors.
The memorial complex, located 12 km from Bryansk in the very place where partisan detachments met during the Second World War to coordinate and plan further actions against the German invaders. The gradually formed sculptural ensemble includes a 20-meter obelisk, marble stelae, a wall of memory, a museum, an exhibition of military equipment, an Alley of Memory and an Eternal Flame.
During the Second World War, German troops shot more than 300 civilians in the village of Hatsun and burned down all the houses. A memorial was erected in honor of the dead in the 1980s, but it soon fell into disrepair. In 2011, on the day of the 70th anniversary of the tragic events, a renovated complex of monuments was inaugurated. Today it includes a museum, a mass grave, steles with memorial plaques, a wall of memory and a chapel.
Museum-reserve of F. I. Tyutchev "Ovstug"
Ovstug is the family estate of the Tyutchevs, located in the village of the same name (they owned the estate from the second half of the 18th century). Unfortunately, the historical buildings have not been preserved, because after the nationalization of property in the first years of Soviet power, they were dismantled for building materials. The master's house was recreated in the 1980s, after which a museum named after A.I. F. I. Tyutcheva.
The Desna is a left tributary of the Dnieper, it flows through the territory of Russia and Ukraine. Since ancient times, it was considered an important transport artery connecting the lands of Kievan Rus with the area located along the Don and Oka. Bryansk and several villages of the region and the neighboring Smolensk region stand on the Desna. Today the river is considered one of the most beautiful in Eastern Europe.