The city of Grozny was badly damaged during the years of the Chechen military campaigns. Many buildings were damaged or completely destroyed, and valuable museum exhibits were lost. This was an occasion to build new sights in peacetime, as well as restore old ones on an even larger scale.
Theatres, the National Library and museums received buildings restored or erected in the 2000s. There were monuments in honor of important events and people of the republic. Mosque "Heart of Chechnya" attracts not only believers, but also tourists. And modern skyscrapers in Grozny City show that the city is moving with the times. In addition, there are places for recreation in the form of picturesque parks, a football stadium, a tourist complex on the banks of the Chernorechensky reservoir.
What to see and where to go in Grozny?
The most interesting and beautiful places for walking. Photos and a short description.
Akhmat Kadyrov Square
Location - the intersection of Isaev and Putin avenues. In the past it bore the names of Lenin and Svoboda. Subsequently named after the first President of the Republic. Also here was Dudayev's presidential palace, which was destroyed during the Chechen campaigns. Near the square is the mosque "Heart of Chechnya", and closely adjoins the park area with alleys, fountains, green spaces.
Mosque "Heart of Chechnya"
Construction was completed in 2008. One of the largest in Europe. At the heart of the project is the Blue Mosque of Istanbul. The maximum capacity is about 10 thousand worshipers. Turkish masters painted the inner walls. Used durable paint and gold plating. Finishing - marble. 36 chandeliers are made of bronze and gold and look like shrines of Islam. The area of the park surrounding the "Heart of Chechnya" is 14 hectares.
A complex of skyscrapers built on the banks of the Sudzha. There are seven buildings: office, hotel and residential buildings. The highest is 40 and the lowest is 18 floors. The official opening took place in 2011. However, it is planned to expand the complex in the future. In skyscrapers there are: a shopping center, a rescue, restaurants, a swimming pool, a gym. The hotel is rated 5 stars. There is a helipad on the roof.
Memorial complex of Glory to them. A. Kadyrova
At the same time, it is dedicated to the first president of the republic and military glory. Open since 2010. Several monuments have been erected on the territory, including those of tankers who fought on the fields of the Second World War. A special place in the complex is occupied by the Akhmat Kadyrov Museum. Marble for its decoration was brought from Spain, and a chandelier covered with gold from Iran. The museum's collection includes personal belongings of the President, paintings, collections from the Second World War.
Chechen Drama Theater
It traces its history since 1931, when a theater studio was created in the city. In connection with the war and deportation, the troupe did not gather. The revival began in the 50s almost from scratch. During the Chechen campaigns, the theater was evacuated and toured a lot. The building was completed in 2008. From that moment on, the artists settled in one place. On the basis of the theater, educational work is carried out and charity events are held.
Chechen State Philharmonic
Founded in 1939. Before the period of deportation, the Philharmonic was one of the cultural centers of the republic. Since the late 50s, there has been a rebirth and a surge of interest in philharmonic artists. The heyday lasted until the 70s. The Chechen campaigns forced them to curtail their activities again. By the middle of the 2000s, work began to boil with renewed vigor. In 2006 they created an ensemble of folk instruments.
Drama Theater named after M. Lermontov
Developed from a circle formed in 1904. Evgeny Vakhtangov, who was then working in Vladikavkaz, was responsible for the first productions. In 1928 the theater moved to a purpose-built building. In 1941, it had to be renamed in honor of Lermontov. A number of performances based on his works were played. Since 2012, it has occupied the current premises. The auditorium has a spherical shape and can accommodate up to 500 spectators.
National Museum of the Chechen Republic
The year of foundation is 1924. The profile changed several times, although the subject remained close to local history. The systematic development stopped in the 90s of the last century: the collection suffered during the hostilities in the republic. By 2007, the museum building was restored, and the funds were replenished. The halls housed exhibitions dedicated to archeology, ethnography, wars, outstanding personalities of Chechnya.
National Library of the Chechen Republic
Opened in 1904. Existed from the date of foundation for 90 years. The building was demolished in 1994. After the revival, the library temporarily occupied the second floor in the Republican Center. The funds moved to a new building in 2012. Its facade looks like an open book. There are reading rooms, a gallery, a video library, a viewing room and a winter garden. Nearby - the National Museum and the concert complex.
State Gallery. A.A. Kadyrov
Created in 2010 and named after the first president of Chechnya. It occupies a building built in 1983. The area of two exhibition halls is more than 500 m². The exposition consists of almost 800 paintings and objects of arts and crafts. All of them belong to contemporary art. Temporary solo exhibitions of local artists are held, as well as traveling exhibitions in neighboring cities.
Church of Michael the Archangel
Founded in 1868. After the revolution, it fell into disrepair. The re-consecration took place in 2009, before that the building had been restored for several years. In the future, the temple turned into a complex, to which a number of premises were added for the needs of the parish. The domes were covered with gilding. The historical appearance of the building has been lost, including due to partial cladding with finishing stone during the reconstruction of Kadyrov Avenue.
Triumphal arch "Grozny"
It is located at the entrance to the city on the Gudermes-Grozny highway. It was opened in 2006 for the birthday of Ramzan Kadyrov. The composition consists of two connected arches with towers on the sides. The towers, although they are decorative, repeat the outlines of traditional Chechen security structures. In addition to the welcome inscription, there are large portraits of Putin and Kadyrov Sr.
Another name is the Chernorechenskoye reservoir. Appeared in 1961 after the construction of a dam on the Goita River. The area is almost 1.2 km², the average depth is 6 meters. A tourist complex was built on the shore; it began to be built in 2012. On the territory there are football fields, a hotel, a floating restaurant, a unique light and music fountain. There is an arboretum nearby.
Autodrom "Groznaya Fortress"
Opened in 2015 in Zavodskoy district. At the same time, the autodrome hosted the national drag racing championship, which was attended by pros from 30 regions of the country. The length of the circle is just over 3 km. The total area is about 60 hectares. Tracks of various types have been built, including for karting, autocross, pair races, and drifting. Capacity - within 1600 spectators. Local competitions are held regularly.
Built from 2005 to 2011. The home stadium of the football club "Akhmat". Capacity - 30.5 thousand people. The territory is equipped with the latest technology, including video surveillance and lighting. In addition to sports competitions, concerts and exhibition events are held that require large open spaces. For example, charity matches with football veterans, or national holidays.