Top 10 attractions in Kalyazin, Russia

808
55 461

The ancient town of Kalyazin stands in a very picturesque place - on the banks of the Kalyazinsky reservoir, where the mighty Volga spreads widely and freely, filling all visible space with its waters. The most recognizable symbol of this place is the famous bell tower, as if growing right out of the mirror surface of the lake.

Kalyazin is a rather popular place among yachting enthusiasts, there is even a yacht club where you can rent any boat you like, from a boat with oars to a jet ski, and go sailing on the reservoir. The sights of the town are the merchant houses of the 19th century, small churches, and, of course, the endless expanses of the Volga, from which it is simply impossible to take your eyes off.

What to see and where to go in Kalyazin?

The most interesting and beautiful places for walking. Photos and a short description.

Bell tower of Nikolsky Cathedral

A unique architectural monument of 1800, which stands on a tiny artificial island and rises above the waters of the Uglich reservoir. But at the end of the XVII century there was a whole cathedral. In the 20th century, due to the construction of hydroelectric power stations, dams, and the expansion of the Volga channel, part of Kalyazin was flooded, and with it the temple (it was subsequently dismantled for building materials). The belfry was spared only due to the fact that it was convenient to use it as a beacon. In the 1980s, an island was poured to strengthen its foundation.

Bell tower of Nikolsky Cathedral

Kalyazin Radio Astronomy Observatory

The Kalyazin observatory was put into operation in 1992, its team is engaged in the study of complex physical processes, and does not catch UFO radio signals at all, as many tourists think. The giant plate from the side looks very grandiose, it reaches a height of 180 meters. Access to the territory of the observatory is prohibited, but you can admire it from afar and take very spectacular photos.

Kalyazin Radio Astronomy Observatory

The building of the former city government

The city administration is housed in a 19th-century building built of red brick in the style of industrial architecture. It is a two-story building with slender rows of arched windows and decorative towers along the edges of the roof. In former times, a school, a zemstvo council and a police station were located here. Since the 1990s, the building has housed the city's high school.

The building of the former city government

Museum of Local Lore

The museum collection was created in the 1920s. She was placed in the church of the Trinity Kalyazinsky Monastery after its closure. The museum was created on the initiative of the rural teacher I.F. Nikolsky, who was its permanent leader until 1972. Since the 1940s, the exposition has been housed in the building of the Epiphany Church, built in the 18th century. For almost 100 years of existence, thousands of exhibits have accumulated in the museum funds.

Museum of Local Lore

Vvedenskaya Church

The temple was erected in the 1880s with the money of a local merchant N. I. Okhlobystin. It was originally built as a cemetery - behind the fence and today you can see the old graves of merchants, townspeople, priests and soldiers. The church is a small building, made in the form of a quadrangle with a bell tower and a hipped roof. At the moment the church is active.

Vvedenskaya Church

Church of the Ascension

The temple was erected at the end of the 18th century in the classical style. Against the backdrop of a rather modest main building, a high bell tower, crowned with a spire and decorated with columns on the first and second tiers, stands out favorably. It looks like the belfry of Nikolsky Cathedral. Previously, there was a cemetery around it, on the site of which a stadium was opened in Soviet times. Today, services in the temple continue, the relics of Macarius Kalyazinsky are kept here.

Church of the Ascension

Monument to M. V. Skopin-Shuisky

A monument in honor of Skopin-Shuisky was erected in 2009. This commander won the battle with the Lithuanian troops near Kalyazin in 1609 during the Time of Troubles. The monument is made in the form of two granite blocks placed on top of each other. On the lower one there is a bas-relief of a military leader, on the upper one sits an eagle spreading its wings, trampling enemy banners with its mighty paws.

Monument to M. V. Skopin-Shuisky

Monument to Macarius Kalyazinsky

Macarius Kalyazinsky - Orthodox saint, founder of the Trinity-Kalyazinsky monastery. He is considered the patron saint of Kalyazin. A monument in his honor was erected in 2008 on one of the most prominent places in the city, which no tourist will pass by (the road leads to the reservoir and the bell tower of St. Nicholas Cathedral). The sculpture of Macarius is made of bronze; it stands against the background of a white wall, stylized as a chapel.

Monument to Macarius Kalyazinsky

"Humpback Bridge"

The bridge across the Volga, which is also called Kashinsky, as it is located near the Kashinka River. The structure is part of the Oktyabrskaya Railway, opened to train traffic in 1919. The bridge itself was built in the late 1970s. At the moment, the movement of railway trains, cars and pedestrians is allowed on it. The length of the bridge is more than 400 meters, the width of the spans exceeds 100 meters.

Humpback Bridge

Uglich reservoir

An artificial reservoir created together with the Uglich hydroelectric power station in 1939. Uglich and Kimry are located on its banks. The reservoir is used not only to generate energy, fishermen are frequent guests on its shores (about 30 commercial fish species are found here) and tourists, moreover, it is perfectly suited for navigation. The length of the reservoir is more than 146 km, the maximum width is about 5 km.

Uglich reservoir