Saransk received a powerful impetus to development after 2010, when it was chosen as one of the candidates for hosting the 2018 FIFA World Cup. That is why funds began to be allocated from the federal budget for the restoration of architectural monuments, the construction of new cultural facilities, as well as for improving infrastructure and making the city more attractive. As a result, Saransk has turned into a well-groomed and rather interesting place, where there will be something for tourists to see.
The first step is to walk through the squares and streets, looking at the local churches along the way - both new and old churches are magnificent examples of traditional church building. Next, you should visit the city museums, which are interesting not only for their expositions, but also for the buildings in which they are located. You can end your walk in the park. A. S. Pushkin or at the monument to Emelyan Pugachev.
What to see and where to go in Saransk?
The most interesting and beautiful places for walking. Photos and a short description.
Cathedral of Theodore Ushakov
An outstanding monument of church architecture of the XXI century, built in the Empire style. The cathedral was erected in 2006 and consecrated by Patriarch Alexy II. The grand temple with a 60-meter dome is designed for 3,000 parishioners. Inside there is a skillfully executed gilded iconostasis made of precious woods, the entrance portal is decorated with majestic marble columns. The whole appearance of the temple evokes thoughts of something high and unearthly.
The main city square, which arose in the middle of the 17th century. Its very first name was Sobornaya, later it was renamed into Torgovaya, Bazaarnaya and, finally, in 1919, Soviet. Today, the architectural appearance of the square is formed by modern buildings of the 20th century; historical buildings, alas, have not been preserved. The oldest building is the former House of Soviets, built in the 1940s.
Appeared in Saransk in 2012. It was built in honor of the anniversary of the unification of Russia and Mordovia. It occupies a fairly large area and is perfectly suited for walking and organizing mass events. One of its main decorations is the “Star of Morodvia” color and musical fountain with a diameter of 60 meters, in the center of which there is a solar sign of the national ornament.
Musical Theater named after I. M. Yaushev
Musical stage where opera, ballet, operettas and musicals are staged. The theater also hosts children's performances and concerts. It was founded in 1935, and initially the repertoire was composed of comedy productions. In 2011, the troupe moved to a new building with a large hall with a capacity of over 700 spectators. The facade of the building is painted in white and red, columns, capitals and shapes resembling the outlines of musical instruments are used as decorative elements.
National Drama Theater
For the national republics of the Russian Federation, the tendency to build theaters focused on the works of local authors has long become the norm. In Mordovia, such a stage was built in the late 1980s. Most of the repertoire consists of works by Mordovian authors, which are in the Erzya and Moksha languages with simultaneous translation. There are also plays by classical Russian and foreign playwrights, but there are much fewer of them.
Russian Drama Theater
Another theatrical scene in Saransk, but already specializing in a more classical repertoire - works by Russian and foreign playwrights. The theater opened in 1932 and has been developing successfully ever since. Since the 1990s, the troupe has been taking part in international and local festivals, receiving high marks from critics and audiences. To attract a wider audience, productions by contemporary authors are introduced into the repertoire.
Museum of Fine Arts named after S. D. Erzya
The museum was opened in 1960, in the 1970s it was renamed in honor of S. D. Erzya, the famous Mordovian sculptor. The basis of the collections are precisely his works, as well as the works of a native of the republic, artist F. V. Sychkov. In total, the museum funds contain more than 15 thousand exhibits representing Russian and national Mordovian art, arts and crafts and modern trends.
National Museum of Local Lore
One of the oldest museum institutions in Mordovia, founded in 1918 on the initiative of representatives of the local intelligentsia. Its numerous collections are located in several branches. One of the largest branches is a new building built in the 2000s. It resembles a classic palace of the 19th century, decorated with elements traditional for this style: arches, a portico, columns, domed towers.
Museum of Mordovian Folk Culture
The museum collection is housed in a 19th-century mansion, which is a monument of urban architecture. Before the Revolution of 1917, this house belonged to the merchant K. Kh. Barablin. The exposition consists of national clothes, handicrafts made by Mordovian craftsmen, agricultural tools, household items that give an idea of the culture of the peoples inhabiting Mordovia.
Museum of A. I. Polezhaev
The exposition of the museum is dedicated to the poet A. I. Polezhaev. She earned in 2001 on the territory of a wooden house of the XIX century. The collection consists of four sections dedicated to various periods of the author's life and work, as well as a literary lounge, where poetry evenings and concerts are held. It should be noted that this is the only museum in Russia that sanctifies the activities of A. I. Polezhaev.
Museum of military and labor feat
The museum collection is part of the memorial complex erected in honor of the Victory in the Great Patriotic War. The facility opened in 1995. You should pay attention to the original building - the facade is made of multi-colored granite slabs in the colors of the St. George's Ribbon, the shape of the structure resembles the outlines of the borders of Mordovia. The exposition is located in four halls, next to it there is an open area with an exhibition of military equipment.
Monument to the soldiers of Mordovia, who fell during the Second World War
Memorial complex, located on the square. Victory. It includes several buildings: a monument to soldiers, a Museum of military and labor feats, another monument to soldiers-internationalists, a chapel and an obelisk "Escape from Hell". All elements of the complex appeared at different times - the earliest (a sculptural group depicting a woman handing a sword to her son-soldier) was built in the 1970s.
Makarovsky St. John the Theologian Monastery
Men's monastery, located in the village of Makarovka. It was founded not so long ago - in 1995, on the lands where since the beginning of the 18th century there has been the Cathedral of St. John the Theologian, around which there was a cemetery. The building of the cathedral has survived to our time. Later, other churches were erected here, destroyed after the Revolution. That is, the monastery can be considered both new and old.
Church of John the Evangelist
The temple is the oldest architectural object preserved on the territory of Mordovia. Due to its value, it not only did not suffer during the persecution of religion, but even in the 1960s it was declared an architectural monument. The church was erected at the end of the 17th century, after 200 years a bell tower was added to it. Since 1944, it has been the only one operating in the republic.
Church of St. Nicholas
Temple of the end of the 19th century, built according to the project of a Penza architect. The building was erected in a rather typical architectural style for that time, imitating classical Russian architecture. The facade and walls are made of red brick. In Soviet times, the church was used for other purposes, but its appearance did not suffer from this at all - the building has survived to this day in its original form.
Temple of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God
The new temple, built in the 2000s in the majestic neo-Byzantine style. True, with significant simplifications, given current trends in architecture. On the central quadrangle there are several domes, along the edges there are a three-tiered bell tower and semicircular apses. The entrance is decorated with decorative arches and large windows, due to which there is quite a lot of light inside the building.
Monument to Emelyan Pugachev
During the Pugachev uprising, the inhabitants of Saransk gave the rebel and his army a warm welcome. During his stay in the city, he freed all the peasants and divided food supplies among the poorest, and also executed many merchants and officials. The monument in his honor is the only one in Russia. The mighty figure of Yemelyan crowns the makeshift fortress wall.
Monument to Stratonauts
The monument is dedicated to I. D. Usyskin, A. B. Vasenko and P. F. Fedoseenko, who in the 1930s created the Osoaviakhim-1 apparatus and climbed on it to a height of 22 km into the stratosphere. The aircraft crashed, killing all three. In memory of this tragic event, in the 1950s, a sculptural group was erected in Saransk in the form of a young man standing on a pedestal with bas-reliefs of the flight participants.
Football stadium built for the 2018 FIFA World Cup. It was founded in 2010. Estimated capacity - more than 40 thousand spectators. After the competitions and reconstruction, which includes a reduction in the number of stands and the construction of additional areas to accommodate sports facilities, the arena will become home to the local FC Mordovia.
Park named after A. S. Pushkin
The park was founded in the 19th century, when the first trees were planted in one of the city squares around the church. The final improvement of the city garden was completed by the beginning of the 20th century: a theater worked on the territory, an orchestra performed and folk festivals took place. In the 1930s, by decision of the authorities, the area of the park was increased several times and placed on it dance floors, summer cafes, auditoriums, a cinema and exhibition pavilions.